View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #148
CJunioR255

Hi QH, im interested to try using a Hydra 30 as a spare/backup filter in my 3ft with sump as well as keep my phosphates under control and say no to algae.
There are 2 scenarios that I am thinking about using the hydra 30 and hope u can ans some queries about the scenarios.

1)putting at main tank to act as backup in case return pump fails. In this setup, since i assume majority of the ammonia/nitrites are alrdy detoxified/converted by the hydra since its so effective, will my BB colony get smaller since theres lesser food for them? I understand from previous FAQs that toxins from the water will still make it down to my media to feed the BB, but since theres lesser food for them, will my BB get lesser, and less able to handle the bioload if the Hydra fails? I want to prevent a 'crash' situation since the hydra is supposed to play backup instead of being the main filter that will jeopardise my tank if it fails.

2)U mentioned that the hydra is recommended to be placed in the last compartment in the sump. I understand the benefits are nitrate and phosphate control, and reduction of the residual toxins that slipped past the filter medias. But the benefits seems significantly lesser in this placement due to the hydra basically doing nth but nitrate and phosphate control, as a good sump and media shud be able to cope with the toxins in the water. Can u tell me any other benefits? Or is this placement simply a recommendation for those who wish to place the hydra in their sump instead of main tank?

Hope u can answer my long winded questions soon, and TIA for taking the trouble to read my WOT and replying.
CJunioR255 is offline   Reply With Quote