Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 26-10-2005, 10:13 PM   #1
whiteice

Default Sump / refugium design

Hi all,

I'm in the process of re-designing my sump. I have read throught several articles as well as the sticky threads on the topic. Seems like incorporating a refugium into the system is a good thing.

Thing is, is it better to have it as a stand alone or is it advisible to have it incorporated into the sump. I have come across designs that have the refugium in the sump's middle section after the mechanical filteration (first chamber) and before the skimmer/return chamber. Is the advisable?

Also for the refugium, I intend to use a corse coral stone underlay followed by a deep fine sand bed. as well as macroalgae complete with a PL tube for good measure. Is this fine?

All inputs are greatly appreciated.
Old 26-10-2005, 11:15 PM   #2
KaLiB

By standalone, i'm assuming your referring to a refugium that is built on its own but connected to the maintank in 1 way or another. As for this, standalone or incorporated into the sump, its more or less up to the hobbyist. IMO, if you want a huge refugium, a standalone refugium could be a good idea as compared to a refugium incorporated into a sump. A refugium incorporated into the sump could have very limited space.

IMO, putting the refugium after the filter comparments and before the skimmer+return chamber is fine. For my setup, i have it after the mech+bio filter and before the return chamber. Due to some miscalculations, i ended up having my skimmer planted into the refugium which so far works out fine too.

A deep sand bed(DSB) in a refugium has limited effeciency as the surface area is significantly smaller than a DSB in the maintank. A DSB works well when there's more surface area so its better to have it in the maintank if possible. Of course, despite this, your idea of macroalgae+DSB is fine and would work.
Old 27-10-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
skthk

Bro nice 4ft tank, how much is it ? Tank alone & with all the equipments ?
Old 27-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #4
whiteice

Thanks for the input bro, I think I will do something similar to your pics but will incorporate the skimmer and refugium in the sump. Mine is a 5ft x 20 inch x 2 ft tall tank, so I guess a 3ft all in one will surfice.
Old 28-10-2005, 06:00 PM   #5
KaLiB

If you intend to follow, IMO, make the return chamber larger as it is a little small. Water has to be topped up every 2-3days to ensure the pump will not suck in air.
Old 29-10-2005, 02:09 AM   #6
whiteice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
If you intend to follow, IMO, make the return chamber larger as it is a little small. Water has to be topped up every 2-3days to ensure the pump will not suck in air.
Thanks, point noted. I had this problem with my previous design. I'm going with a double wall so the water level in which the skimmer is in will be stable.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
taylapong81

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteice
Thanks, point noted. I had this problem with my previous design. I'm going with a double wall so the water level in which the skimmer is in will be stable.
a double wall? could you explain what that means?