Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 29-06-2011, 09:25 AM   #1
zenith82

Default PH control

I'm having problems in controlling my PH at 6.2~6.5 as it will go up within hours. Last nite I adjust my PH from 6.2 this morning it became 6.6. Is there a good way to stabilize the PH? I think due to the fluctuation some of my shrimps died. I'm really worried. This wasn't noted to me until I got a PH meter to monitor it. Can someone advise me?
Old 29-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
eviltrain

pH of 6.5 -6.6 is good enough if you keeps CRS. too much adjusting of pH is bad for CRS.
Old 29-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
zenith82

But i notice it will slowly raise by hours. From 6.2 it raise to 6.6. I think it should not raise that much in such a short period. I'm using gex soil inside tank have benibachi, zero alpha, crimsom balls and mini fissidens tied on DW and pebbles that's all. That's all, I suppose those should not alter PH. I understand PH will slowly raise and have to change water to reduce it. But I think mine is too fast and I feel the fluctuation will cause the shrimps to died... I can't possibly change my water everyday to maintain the PH... Help...
Old 29-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
cheetf
Dragon

Is your pH meter battery powered or ac powered? Try measuring it with a test kit and see. I have found my ac powered pH meter to show different readings when additional stuff such as lights are turned on.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
eviltrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
Is your pH meter battery powered or ac powered? Try measuring it with a test kit and see. I have found my ac powered pH meter to show different readings when additional stuff such as lights are turned on.
use different power source from the light. the frequency of the light may disrupt the reading of the pH monitor.
Old 29-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
cheetf
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
use different power source from the light. the frequency of the light may disrupt the reading of the pH monitor.
Doesn't matter, I have learnt how to estimate the difference. Hahaha.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #7
cartoon
Dragon

Hi bro,
I m a newbie in shrimp. But to my exp. Currently keeping guppy which r sensitive to ph fluctuation, I add coral chips in my tank to buffer it. At least it slow down the fluctuation. Me currently applying it in the filter to my rili shrimp tank n ph reading looks good. Maybe u can try. Maybe u might also want to chk ur KH, it will affect ur ph lvl also. Just my 2 cents n hope it helps.

Last edited by cartoon; 29-06-2011 at 10:50 AM.
cartoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #8
eviltrain

hee hee, coral chip will just keep the water pH between 7 - 7.5.

this pH not really good for CRS for long term.
Old 29-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #9
eviltrain

remember this phrase "if there is nothing wrong, don't fix it. "

hee hee

you might want to vinegar test your pebbles. it might be alkaline by nature.
Old 29-06-2011, 10:47 AM   #10
chowder

I find that tank ph will rise when lights are on. Mine can go up to 6.8 when lights are on and drop to 6.5 when lights are off.