Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 02-08-2010, 04:50 AM   #201
point08

oh yeah i forgot to mention , the crickets sold in the pet shops arnt really safe and quite often parasites because of the environment they were reared in like farms etc where conditions basically suck (for those of you who have gone to the cricket farm you would understand what i mean).

yup , mealworms and superworms imho would be a safer option compareed to crickets even though i understand that the thrill of them hunting down crickets is really intriguing. Superworms digest easier than mealworms so if your frog is big enough , superworms would be a good staple whereas crickets could be used as treats to be fed once in awhile.

and just my another 2 cents worth (:
Old 02-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #202
69efan69

Quote:
Originally Posted by point08 View Post
oh yeah i forgot to mention , the crickets sold in the pet shops arnt really safe and quite often parasites because of the environment they were reared in like farms etc where conditions basically suck (for those of you who have gone to the cricket farm you would understand what i mean).

yup , mealworms and superworms imho would be a safer option compareed to crickets even though i understand that the thrill of them hunting down crickets is really intriguing. Superworms digest easier than mealworms so if your frog is big enough , superworms would be a good staple whereas crickets could be used as treats to be fed once in awhile.

and just my another 2 cents worth (:
bro how long have u keep your frogs already ?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #203
llewellyn
Dragon

i got so attracted with all the green froggies you guys posted !!!
so cute

may i ask how do you all maintain the plants inside the tank .... sprinkle water ?
do you need any nutrients for the plants to thrive ( i know cannot add fertilizers)?
any lightings for the plants and wont it hurt the froggies eyes/skins?
Thank you
llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #204
point08

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69efan69 View Post
bro how long have u keep your frogs already ?
quite a number of years already bro (: hope what i said was of any use haha!
Old 02-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #205
point08

Quote:
Originally Posted by llewellyn View Post
i got so attracted with all the green froggies you guys posted !!!
so cute

may i ask how do you all maintain the plants inside the tank .... sprinkle water ?
do you need any nutrients for the plants to thrive ( i know cannot add fertilizers)?
any lightings for the plants and wont it hurt the froggies eyes/skins?
Thank you
usually the plants that are inside the tank are low maintainence plants so a little light and correct humidity usually does the trick (: some examples are ferns and mosses. you dont really need fertilizers cause frog poop acts as natural fertilizer
Old 02-08-2010, 04:55 PM   #206
69efan69

Quote:
quite a number of years already bro (: hope what i said was of any use haha!
it is man! hahaha now makes me think.. i think i will order 500g of crickets then gutload them in a clean environment or something before feeding it to my frogs.

can show your setup ? wah many years. confirm happy frogs.

I am still looking for this kind of wood.. tall, branchy and each branch is THICK

still no luck ..

enclosure as of now..

Frogs' daytime activity ..

haha

Last edited by 69efan69; 02-08-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #207
benjamin

hi bros. was wondering how to keep those crickets alive? i only got 1 frog which was the last piece at y618 1 box of crickets was supposed to last me at least 2 weeks or maybe even more? but the crickets keep dying so i would finish the crickets by 1 week. and the ants also keep attacking my crickets where ever i put. how to deal with this ??? thanks alot!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:28 PM   #208
69efan69

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin View Post
hi bros. was wondering how to keep those crickets alive? i only got 1 frog which was the last piece at y618 1 box of crickets was supposed to last me at least 2 weeks or maybe even more? but the crickets keep dying so i would finish the crickets by 1 week. and the ants also keep attacking my crickets where ever i put. how to deal with this ??? thanks alot!
bro can share your frog setup ?

and also how you keep crickets?

i just started out keeping crickets as bulk.. not sure can tahan or not haha.

here's my cricket haven.

some greens and crushed dry cat food on the dish..

feeding it to my babies hahaa.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #209
point08

Bro your crix set up is for breeding, be careful cause when they start breeding you'll have a ton of baby crickets and they can climb the walls of the container then you'll have pinheads all over your house :/ . Yup in any case ,them crix should be fed with a variety of foods, like bread corn carrots and maybe a slice of potato for water source. Also be sure to remove the leftover food cuz it collects bacteria and the stench will kill you.

Some people have asked how to dust the crickets, for me basically I just put my crix I want to feed into a plastic bag put maybe a teaspoon of calcium inside then just Shake like hell :P same goes for multi vitamins
Old 02-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #210
69efan69

Quote:
Bro your crix set up is for breeding, be careful cause when they start breeding you'll have a ton of baby crickets and they can climb the walls of the container then you'll have pinheads all over your house :/ . Yup in any case ,them crix should be fed with a variety of foods, like bread corn carrots and maybe a slice of potato for water source. Also be sure to remove the leftover food cuz it collects bacteria and the stench will kill you.

Some people have asked how to dust the crickets, for me basically I just put my crix I want to feed into a plastic bag put maybe a teaspoon of calcium inside then just Shake like hell :P same goes for multi vitamins
oops, i didnt know unlike the adult counterparts, pinheads can climb! wah seh must plan already.

btw usually how long do you leave the food in there before changing it to fresh ones?

Last edited by 69efan69; 02-08-2010 at 09:47 PM.