Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 14-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #11
gregorsamsa

Default got a digicam

Thanks to Philip for his digital Camera.

The tank was not prepared for the photoshoot but the equipment was removed and the background was dark. No flash was used. Algae was not scrapped off the walls, while a styrofoam was still being used as the background.

No photographing skills were used.

I have been using 36watts for 2 days already. Algae problem is not that serious anymore. Lowered the light because as yuo can see, despite it being a few weeks since the first trim, grow is "low" because all the stemmed plants have "compacted" and "bend" since they no longer need to grow "up" for light

here is an attached pic. The rest are in my gallery. will update on friday to see how the growth is like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled3small.JPG (30.7 KB, 358 views)
Old 24-08-2005, 09:18 PM   #12
gregorsamsa

Default update

as posted inother forums, very upset with the tank already but still require comments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitledsmall.JPG (40.9 KB, 284 views)
Old 25-08-2005, 02:19 AM   #13
higher

Fantastic Improvement JS!
Btw i'm back, we should meet up sometime soon!

My suggestion is to reduce the HG, tim it back and leave some room in the foreground and layerit with fin white gravel. create a path which leads to the centre of the 2 main structures, of course have in slightly off centre, just like how the HG leads now.

Whats that clear pip in the front top right hand of your photo?

One mroe thing, i'd add in some boraras to enhancethe effect of the tank size, make it look bigger with a school (obviously a small school) of fishes.

Honestly i like your current result alot but i think your next step is concentrating on understanding plant growth patterns. The nice bushy effect on the left bears a slight contrast withthe 'skinny' lengthy long internodal feel of the right. Perhaps another mid ground plant (red perhaps) is required?

But on the whole a fantastic effort.
Care to update us on the fert regime, tank size, equipment and lighting?
Old 29-08-2005, 10:13 PM   #14
gregorsamsa

hey jerome,

i have since tore down the tank and moving on to a 2ft tank. slowly, i hope i can work up to 4 ft.

Specs are
1.5ft (460x260x220mm)
HOF
lapis sand with JBJ basefert
72 watts of light, mounted on stand 10 hours lighting
Lushgro ferts, EI method

it was meant to be an all rotala "green" but in beetween plans changed. Also, there are red plants at the back, but the photography doesnt show it.

as for trimming, its really trial and error. the right side seems limp because i tore away the plants in the front and replanted. My advice base on hindsight is get your planting scheme up the first day because if you remove plants, the growth is anomalous. the left side seems full because i had rotala macandra "green" newly planted.

while tearing the plants, you have to learn how to use different layers to hide the skinny legs because you'll be surprised how many divisions there are from one stem.
Old 29-08-2005, 10:24 PM   #15
Lobsterman

JS, nice setups! I have yet to do up mine properly after the unfortunate incident involving my 3ft tank. BTW, I think I saw you at Bishan Junction 8... was having dinner with my wife and friend... Couldn't be too sure.... Is that you? Cheers!