Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 10-10-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
wongtk

Default Accuracy of Test Kits

Recently I have been monitoring my water parameters more closely as I am keeping more expensive corals. (Trying to be more adventurous).

However, I am begining to doubt the accuracy of the testkits I am using. As in my previous threads, my test kits shows Ca at 700ppm. I understand that it is quite difficult to reach these values without adversely affecting the corals. But the fact is that my corals are still blooming well, and does not show any signs of stress. I have been using all sorts of brands, Salifert, Aqualight, Sera, Tetra... Some brands reinforces the results while others contradicts slightly.

I am from a technical background, the methodology recommended by most (if not all) the test kits are very non precise to me. Instructions like "count the number of drops..." and "1 level spoon..." are bothering me very much because, these are not accurate measuring units.

I am wondering is it because of these ambiguious measuring units that is causing my rather contradicting test values. I understand it is not good if you do not understand the water conditions in your tank, but I feel that making decisions based on wrong information ("wrong" readings from test kits) are just as disastrous.

What do you think?
Old 10-10-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

If you get a very weird reading, test again. If same results, borrow a testkit and try.

If you are still not convinced, email the manufacturer and quote yr batch no. I always recommend salifert, its easy to use and you can always check with habib if you suspect yr batch is faulty.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote