Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 04-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
koijunior

Default Koi color faded

I liike to visit koi ponds and enjoy viewing the koi. But there is a place called 'Koi Garden' at Suntec City which troubled me. Those koi there are big but sad to say, they are unusually ugly, their colors are very much faded. I was thinking what could have caused their colors faded so much ? I notice that the water looks somewhat dirty, is this the main cause ? Or is it genetic ? Are all koi become like that when they grew old ? ( But to that extent so bad ? )
Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Wilgan
Dragon

Those should be Malaysia kois that tend to develop pot belly which makes them look ugly. It's the genes issue. The shallow water, overcrowded and poor water condition may have made their condition worst.

The japan import mostly should not have these traits even when they are big or old.
Wilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
kutekoi
Arofanatic

Similar thing happening at the koi pond in one of the hotels at Raffles Place (I think you know which one).

A few years back the pond was well maintained with many nicer kois. But now the kois are only a handful, have tummies, faded colors and are sluggish.

Besides genetics, water quality and food, the faded colours are also caused partly by lack of direct sunlight.

Quite sad to see ponds at nice locations with sad-looking kois...
kutekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:36 PM   #4
twerked

yep. many of these people just buy kois to put into these features without really understanding how to take care of them properly. the kois in fullerton hotel looks lethargic and there's always a layer of oil in the water. those in my school at SIM are so badly faded probably due to the shallow water and afternoon sun as there's totally no shelter at all. its very disturbing.

i think one of the best places to see nice kois are those in terminal 2 and 3 in changi airport departure area.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #5
koijunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by twerked View Post
...... those in my school at SIM are so badly faded probably due to the shallow water and afternoon sun as there's totally no shelter at all. its very disturbing.i think one of the best places to see nice kois are those in terminal 2 and 3 in changi airport departure area.
SIM ? Are you refering to one beside Ngee Ann Poly ? Seven years ago, i went there often for courses, i do remember the pond in front of the Library is teeming with very active and beautiful koi, and a nicely maintained pond. Really degraded so much over the years ?

The koi pond at Botanical Garden is fabulous also...
Old 05-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
twerked

Quote:
Originally Posted by koijunior View Post
SIM ? Are you refering to one beside Ngee Ann Poly ? Seven years ago, i went there often for courses, i do remember the pond in front of the Library is teeming with very active and beautiful koi, and a nicely maintained pond. Really degraded so much over the years ?

The koi pond at Botanical Garden is fabulous also...
yes the one near ngee ann. its very sad to see a pond become like that. their colour are badly faded. the pond isn't deep and in the afternoon when the sun is up they'll all find a cool spot to hide.
Old 14-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
KEITH21

I believe that the fish shop beside the pond are selling small packet of food to feed the koi.
If the koi is feed all day round and no one is to clear the left over food , which mean that this could effect the water quality.
This in turn will also effect the koi