Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 04-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
Brichardi
Dragon

IMHO I don't think starving the whole tank/lot will help at all....afterall holding period is NOT short...18~21 days.

Basically I've tried many other methods with sandshifters, with little success......example moving 1 holding female into a tank by itself >> spat out eggs 3 days later; Then moving 2 holding females into a tank by itself >> 1 spat out earlier than the other one; stripping the female the next day and tumble....didn't succeed either; etc.

I think many factors affect them to hold full term...such as....
1) Their nature/character itself;
2) Water perimeters;
3) Tank size;
4) Big school required...example....8~12 females at least....1m:8~12F;
5) Hiding spots
6) etc.

IMHO for sandshifters, if you can make them hold for 6~8 days, its an achievement and should just strip them to tumble. Sandshifters are truly known to be BAD holders. To be able to make them hold to end is a great challenge....keep trying and hopefully you will succeed 1 day.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 10:01 PM   #12
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

Or... we can give them a little more time... for them to bulk up a bit get their fat stores up so they can stand starving for a bit longer.

My 2 other females are huge in comparison... probably take a little longer to settle down... and when they do I'll see how they'll hold up.
BubbleBubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 12:55 AM   #13
YKT
Dragon

Any good news or update on the females?
YKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2014, 12:01 PM   #14
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

No news... becos I haven't change water for almost one month. Tonight be geelat change... news come in a week see how.
Old 27-04-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
YKT
Dragon

It is not easy to breed and will be good news if you are successful.
Old 27-04-2014, 03:50 PM   #16
BubbleBubble
Senior Dragon

A bit heartbreaking really... perhaps becos the speed at which things move in today's human society we expect other things to move with us in tandem.

I believe all things move at a predetermine speed and in perfect tandem rhythms... we just dunno how to move them wif us... or we shouldn't even try in the first place... and that's why some turn to religion while others die die wanna try... balancing out human acts.

So... give me a bit more time... if I wanna die die try I may just convert one of my 40 ton pond into a tanga sandbed... which I think will bring me closer to nature and God. Ha...
Old 27-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #17
Brichardi
Dragon

Very cheam le......

Yes patience and perseverance are the keys to success!
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 11:42 PM   #18
YKT
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleBubble View Post
A bit heartbreaking really... perhaps becos the speed at which things move in today's human society we expect other things to move with us in tandem.

I believe all things move at a predetermine speed and in perfect tandem rhythms... we just dunno how to move them wif us... or we shouldn't even try in the first place... and that's why some turn to religion while others die die wanna try... balancing out human acts.

So... give me a bit more time... if I wanna die die try I may just convert one of my 40 ton pond into a tanga sandbed... which I think will bring me closer to nature and God. Ha...
From all breeding projects, whether it is skill or pure lucky, a lot of effort and patient is required. I had my fair share of failures as well and almost all of my sand shifters swallowed the eggs after 5 to 6 days.

But, I believe 1 day, I will find my way to get the breed. Cheers.