Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 31-05-2013, 02:11 AM   #91
Aris
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmark View Post
sorry passed away on wed not mon
His name published in today's breaking news....http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...demic-20130530

"Ang Yong Han, 20, the first victim of Singapore's current dengue outbreak, was a former Institute of Technical Education student waiting to enlist in national service. -- PHOTO: PUNGGOL BILLIARD'S FACEBOOK"
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #92
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post

I have 1000+ educational pamphlets to drop
anyone wants to help out?
any students need CIP hours?
richardg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #93
Joecool
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
I kena fine $200 before ........ if only they dun come in as an enforcement unit waiting to fine the household, people will be a lot more co-operative. And the way they act, like my recruit time corporal doing standby by bunk inspection, why wud i let them into my house.

Told them to F off every time they come.
Actually, not every NEA officers are keen to fine. My mum is actually working in the NEA, anti-mozzi dept. My mum usually just tell the home owners who are found to have the larvae to be more careful and supervise the clearing of the larvae. While all of you are saying that the NEA are out to fine ppl, have you ever considered how much abuse they are getting as well? But there are also instances where she comes home and tell me happily about all the plants and pets she saw when she was doing her work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
My feel is that NEA guys go for easier to inspect areas. E.g. my blocks having lift upgrading program, so there are areas which are partitioned and they could not access due to lock. But I feel it is precisely these places where mosquitoes breeding take place. wondering if they will spot check such construction places?
Sometimes my mum does OT and goes to construction sites and the workers dormitories. They usually start around 7pm and can end as late as 11pm-12am. The conditions at the dorms are usually less than desirable and i've seen some of the photos that she's taken. Completely atrocious living conditions. But still, have to expect such things when u squeeze 15+ ppl into a container sized dorm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
A curious question. Does strong wind environment deter mosquitoes from approaching an area? For example, a bedroom with a ceiling fan on at say 4 of a 5-speed selection?
Wind does play a part in controlling getting bitten, the wind usually blows the mozzi away. My area is now a hotspot as well for this season's DHF, so far so good in not getting bitten, i've got a 2yo and a pregnant wife at home.

Pertaining to the problem about importing the parasite from overseas, yes, it is possible. But there is also a possibility that this new strain is a mutation from the common strains that we see here in sg. Viruses, Bacteria, Parasites as in all living things wants to extend their line as far as possible, just like the avian flu virus.

I'm not against the NEA spending money on advert or anything like that. To combat this problem, everyone plays a part and if this advert is going to help in spreading the message to everyone, then I would say, it's money well spent. I'm in the healthcare industry and there's still a lot of ppl who doesn't know the signs and symptoms of DHF. If everyone just do their part, i believe this problem can be very well contained.

Just my tots and no offence to anyone.

Last edited by Joecool; 05-07-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Joecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:28 PM   #94
loveikan
Arofanatic

NEA officers working doubly hard and everyone got to play their part too. Now the officers are checking in Yew Tee area now.
loveikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #95
foxwagon
Dragon

Who is checking those forested areas? The grounds may be uneven a may have water ponding.
foxwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #96
hkh
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
Who is checking those forested areas? The grounds may be uneven a may have water ponding.
Do NParks maintain these forested areas or Town councils......
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #97
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwagon View Post
these areas have "no" people
hence no dengue mozzies, i was told
Old 07-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #98
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Actually, not every NEA officers are keen to fine. My mum is actually working in the NEA, anti-mozzi dept. My mum usually just tell the home owners who are found to have the larvae to be more careful and supervise the clearing of the larvae. While all of you are saying that the NEA are out to fine ppl, have you ever considered how much abuse they are getting as well? But there are also instances where she comes home and tell me happily about all the plants and pets she saw when she was doing her work.
so why do people have this kind of impression when the way u put it, NEA people are the most maligned bunch of most considerate people in the whole world ? that this idiot who comes into my house to boss me around is the only exception rather than the rule and that the others only just tell the home owners ???

maybe ur mother is the exception ????
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #99
Joecool
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
so why do people have this kind of impression when the way u put it, NEA people are the most maligned bunch of most considerate people in the whole world ? that this idiot who comes into my house to boss me around is the only exception rather than the rule and that the others only just tell the home owners ???

maybe ur mother is the exception ????
I spoke with my mum about your case but since i dun have the full details, it's hard to discuss anything but i did try to understand their workflow. As for the bossing around part, i believe that it's up to the inspector's individual character. of cos, there will definitely be 1 or 2 bad eggs within a basket.

Previously when my mum 1st joined the NEA, they were really an enforcement unit. According to her, anyone found with mozzi breeding within their compound would be fined immediately, however they have since taken a softer approach and 1st time is warning with an educational tour.

I do have my own encounters with NEA (littering dept), kenna fined 2 times by them for throwing cig butts

I'm not trying to speak up for NEA or the sorts, if you do find that the inspector's attitude or manner of professionalism is lacking, u can make a feedback to their HQ, as what happened to my mum ytd. Home owner complained to my mum abt other inspectors and my mum took it straight up to her managers

Last edited by Joecool; 08-07-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Joecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #100
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecool View Post
Previously when my mum 1st joined the NEA, they were really an enforcement unit. According to her, anyone found with mozzi breeding within their compound would be fined immediately, however they have since taken a softer approach and 1st time is warning with an educational tour.
Thanks for the info, what is "educational tour"?
Experience with NEA enforcement "officers" have not been good circa 2011.
Also got complain from residents about them.

The one who came to my house was not polite and also threatening.
Come to my house and threaten me??? Invited him out and never let them in again. Want to come in go get the court order.

Present fine system is confrontative and put residents in a dilemma.
Paying $200 is not something everyone can do without some pain.

Hopefully the new system works better, it needs more publicity.

Thanks.