Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 06-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #11
scopeyeo

i used to have a shrimp speciallty 4" tank with lots of corel...
had discover a few small cleaner shrimp survival

May be a setup just for breeding them will succeed
Old 06-09-2005, 08:17 PM   #12
flame angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
Setup wise, from what i have gathered, the best option could be just to opt for a simple bare tank with air bubbles to aerate the water. No airstones are to be used, just air tubes.

Water changes and siphoning of the fries should only be done using an air tube. Overall, its very demanding and challenging to raise cleaner shrimp fries and requires alot of time.

From what limited knowledge i have, if the fries can survive for the 1st 100days, your almost there already.

flame_angel: Can't help you as i myself have no idea where to obtain this food source locally.
100 days that's long! Ok thks for the info. i'll jus c wat i can do next time the fry do pop out again.

Hi Dreamzcape,
Thks bro!
Old 06-09-2005, 08:57 PM   #13
KaLiB

Yup, thats what i learnt on my research on breeding them. The good thing about cleaners is that they keep on breeding, so you have many chances to raise the fry.

IMO, unless you can afford time everyday to look after the larvae, i would advise against trying. Its likely to end up wasting your time + effort.
Old 07-09-2005, 08:51 PM   #14
flame angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
Yup, thats what i learnt on my research on breeding them. The good thing about cleaners is that they keep on breeding, so you have many chances to raise the fry.

IMO, unless you can afford time everyday to look after the larvae, i would advise against trying. Its likely to end up wasting your time + effort.
It's just curiosity that put me on wanting to try it,yes don't want to waste effort and time also. thks
Old 08-09-2005, 06:08 AM   #15
dreamzcape

haha same...first time i bought cleaner then first time i saw the spawning i shock at first because look like the fishes whacking the shrimp then i was damn scared coz few days before i started feeding freeze dried shrimp then thought they got idea wanna try shrimp sashimi.

Later realised that eh got spawn coming out...faster transfer to seperate tank...borrow air pump...but at that time research also they only talk about rotifers as food...but came across one saying finely crushed flake food also can.so i try...managed to survive about a week then later huge dieoffs....conditions are really demanding and i guess it's even worse when u have micro particles of food in your tank rotting...without being able to have proper filtration.

But damn cute lah....if look closely can see their shape abit like tiny scorpions...
Old 08-09-2005, 07:29 PM   #16
flame angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamzcape
haha same...first time i bought cleaner then first time i saw the spawning i shock at first because look like the fishes whacking the shrimp then i was damn scared coz few days before i started feeding freeze dried shrimp then thought they got idea wanna try shrimp sashimi.

Later realised that eh got spawn coming out...faster transfer to seperate tank...borrow air pump...but at that time research also they only talk about rotifers as food...but came across one saying finely crushed flake food also can.so i try...managed to survive about a week then later huge dieoffs....conditions are really demanding and i guess it's even worse when u have micro particles of food in your tank rotting...without being able to have proper filtration.

But damn cute lah....if look closely can see their shape abit like tiny scorpions...
Yes, they r cute little creature. I guess flake food don't have enough nutrition value to sustain them. I read somewhere that the water quality must be optimum for them also, such as ammonia 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate should maintain not more than 0.1ppm. So it's difficult to raised them.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:05 AM   #17
dreamzcape

yeah...it's damn killer...have to change water to maintain optimum conditions and yet at the same time the new water u put in the tank must be same parameters....very fierce...but if can succeed...confirm the satisfaction is there.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:41 PM   #18
flame angel

It’s about a week since the last hatch of fry, last night the shrimp had released its larval again, I can’t believe that they really produce so fast! This time I’ve net out quite a number of them. I just can’t bear to c it get flown away & eaten by other inhabitants so just net out as many as I can. The fry is actually too small to be focus on with the camera, so I put in the sea shell to aid for the Focus. The size of the shell is about a peanut. The photo is one cropped & the other without.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:02 PM   #19
decentkid

FYI...cleaner shrimps have both male and female sexual organs so any two can breed...however, a cleaner shrimp will not be able to fertilise itself..so two is needed...

anyway...the shrimplets are very delicate...big air bubbles are enough to pulverise them..so do keep them a places with gentle flow...

just my 2 cents
Old 11-09-2005, 06:41 PM   #20
flame angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by decentkid
FYI...cleaner shrimps have both male and female sexual organs so any two can breed...however, a cleaner shrimp will not be able to fertilise itself..so two is needed...

anyway...the shrimplets are very delicate...big air bubbles are enough to pulverise them..so do keep them a places with gentle flow...

just my 2 cents
Generally if u want to c them breed, u got to have 1 larger than the other in time they will choose to be female or male.