Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 04-06-2005, 10:30 AM   #11
gregorsamsa

OMG

I must say that the large tank that you guys have done up, while simple in plant types, is a feat to accomplish. 17.5x4x3 ft!!!

How did you go about building the setup and tank? from the bigger pictures, it looks like its part of a terrarium/Aviarium/vivarium, somewhat like those ZOo displays.

truly magnificent

regards
Old 06-06-2005, 08:13 AM   #12
GreenChapter

AFC Associate

The entire project took about a week, laying of the gravel bed, setting up the filteration and lastly, putting the trunks and planting. Planting are done fully submerged before water is gradually filled up.
GreenChapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #13
dom

Wow.... beautiful and soul capture setups there. hope i can hv that kind of skill.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:48 PM   #14
leofanatic

Love that discus setup done for the house...

Very natural..what filtration system you use for that tank?
Old 06-06-2005, 10:51 PM   #15
GreenChapter

AFC Associate

Hi, There are 3 cascades of filter medium underneath the water fall and several pumps to circulate the water.
GreenChapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 04:16 AM   #16
leofanatic

Thanks. Cool.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:17 PM   #17
Ben
Dragon

if you are just keeping discus for pleasure, i think a planted tank will be very beautiful. But if you are really serious about your discus, and want the best and fastest growth, with the intention to breed them, then a planted tank may be a problem.

I'm not sure of the discus practice now, but when i was seriously breeding them, temperature was one of the issues. Discus do better in higher temperatures like 30 deg and above. When they fall sick, quite common, salt and higher temp like 32deg is recommended. high temp is also to increase metabolic rate and appetite for the fishes. for a planted tank, usually the lower the temp, the better.

However, i must agree a planted tank with a school of wild heckels or tefe, is a sight to behold. each time i go to Gan's, feel like grabbing the juvenile heckels there. Maybe.....just maybe
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote