Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Aquatic Photography

Old 28-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #21
tridrag

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondekker View Post
clear tank as in no oyama?
Yeah, no oyama.. It's like a partition between my living room n balcony..
Btw, how to post pic here? I see some r small attachments but some r big nice pics like those in photography forum..
Old 28-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #22
desmondekker

icic...you can try taking in the middle of the night with just the tank light on. alternatively u can play around with high f-stop to black out the background. or put a back drop temporarily at the other side of the tank. IMHO black seems to be the most cinematic backdrop for fishes in general.
Old 28-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #23
tridrag

Quote:
icic...you can try taking in the middle of the night with just the tank light on. alternatively u can play around with high f-stop to black out the background. or put a back drop temporarily at the other side of the tank. IMHO black seems to be the most cinematic backdrop for fishes in general.
Thx for the advice bro, high f number will blur the background right? That's wat ppl call Bokeh shots right? Yup, black background does make the focus object stands out..
Old 28-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #24
desmondekker

hmmm...high f-stop means small apperture, your background tends to be sharp. lower f-stop will create the bokeh. strong bokeh also depends on the focal length.

the reason why i recommend higher f-stop is because a small apperture will allow little light to hit the sensor, hence very little light from the background will be captured on the cam...creating the illusion that the background is black. try to take your subject when it's the furthest away from the back of the tank. for better result, use a flash.
Old 28-12-2010, 01:07 PM   #25
tridrag

Oops.. Pls pardon me for getting mixed up.. Heehee.. Built in flash gd enuf? I tried with flash, but the fish's eyes will look ghostly.. N the glass reflects too..
Old 28-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #26
desmondekker

haha, that's a common problem even on the state of the art camera.

the more serious folks usually invest in an external flash and fire it off-shoe or bounce off something to get around the viewing panel

Last edited by desmondekker; 28-12-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 28-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #27
angelo
Senior Dragon

Quote:
hmmm...high f-stop means small apperture, your background tends to be sharp. lower f-stop will create the bokeh. strong bokeh also depends on the focal length.

the reason why i recommend higher f-stop is because a small apperture will allow little light to hit the sensor, hence very little light from the background will be captured on the cam...creating the illusion that the background is black. try to take your subject when it's the furthest away from the back of the tank. for better result, use a flash.
What about increasing the shutter speed with external flash?
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #28
desmondekker

i think on my cam it's not possible to go beyond 1/200th second with a flash. would love to go faster though. hahaha!
Old 28-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #29
dinosor
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tridrag View Post
Hi bros, any tips for shooting with clear tank? I'm still new to photography, just gotten a canon 550D with 18-135mm kit lens..

hw much does a decent DSLR camera cost?

Last edited by dinosor; 28-12-2010 at 03:02 PM.
dinosor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2010, 03:29 PM   #30
angelo
Senior Dragon

Quote:
i think on my cam it's not possible to go beyond 1/200th second with a flash. would love to go faster though. hahaha!
Which camera body are you using?
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote