Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 17-07-2004, 12:57 AM   #21
SGRay

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilfire
not 2 sure on tis. it was wat i heard.

n tat was y i said most brands r not true rated. a 1/4 hp can never consume 600+ of wattage n similarly, a 1/4 Hp chiller is rated at least 300 watts(if i'm not wrong)

why couldn't a 1/4hp chiller consume 650W??? isn't it possible that they are using inferior cooling parts so that the chiller have to overcome more resistance forces to cool down the water?? Doesn't it all depend on the elctrical part? like how much current it draws to power the compressor etc... why can't a 1/4 hp chiller be consuming 650W? like an inefficient Air conditioner can consume 1000W but cannot cool a small room when old?
so it is impossible for the resun 1/4 hp chiller to be consuming so much electricity? then Quite worth buying leh. if consumes less electricity and is so cheap..
Old 17-07-2004, 01:43 AM   #22
devilfire

i dun study electrical, thus i'm not electrical trained.

i might not b able 2 convince u on tis, however,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGRay
why couldn't a 1/4hp chiller consume 650W???..
Most of the wattage comes from the compressor, n certain HP compressors hav a standard range of wattage, like 1/2 HP=350-450W, 1 HP=700-900W. so a 1/4 HP compressor is unlike 2 consume 650W of elect.

Quote:
like how much current it draws to power the compressor etc...
when a compressor is rated at, say 100W, the power require 2 kick in the comp will definitely b much more than tat, almost 1 1/2 Xs more.

Quote:
like an inefficient Air conditioner can consume 1000W but cannot cool a small room when old?????..
take note of the difference...1) a new air con compressor consumes 1000W n can cool a small rm in 1 hr. 2) the same compressor when old will oso consume 1000W but will take maybe 3 hrs 2 cool the same rm.

Quote:
so it is impossible for the resun 1/4 hp chiller to be consuming so much electricity? then Quite worth buying leh. if consumes less electricity and is so cheap..
i ever heard 2 things abt resun 650.1) it is oni rated at 300+W. 2) it is under-rated, tat means it's a 1/2 HP chiller.

having said, stil i hav 2 make it clear i'm not trained in tis field. wat i mentioned above is fr ppl who hav tested the various types of chillers n wat i heard fr these ppl. i'm might b wrong. of cos i cant reveal everything i know here, else i'll get sued.

choosing a chiller is very important, especially when support is needed when the chiller is defective or it need servicing. try looking ard in the forums here n there, u can often c reefers got problems getting their chillers repaired or serviced. even if they could, the dealers need at least a few days 2 even up 2 a wk 2 get it done. try 2 imagine ur tk is full of corals tat require running MH, n again imagine when u chiller breaks down. PC dealers can get it repaired in the fastest time possible.

FYI, i've seen reefers using T**o chillers asking PC dealers repairing their chillers.
Old 17-07-2004, 01:48 AM   #23
SGRay

Yep.. PC chiller ppl can provide chiller servicing for all brands not just for theirs.. so if resun chiuller break down just give them a call loh... they all will entertain you one... dun have to be their chiller...

hmm... if what you cited is factual, then all chiller brand's chilelrs using same technology and same electrical circuits and compressors etc? can't be what... different make will have different power consumption and all... If like that then if my Eheim pump is rated at 2800l/h and uses a certain amount of power then will all other pumps of different brand that consumes the same power produce the same flowrate as well?
Old 17-07-2004, 02:01 AM   #24
devilfire

Quote:
Yep.. PC chiller ppl can provide chiller servicing for all brands not just for theirs.. so if resun chiuller break down just give them a call loh... they all will entertain you one... dun have to be their chiller...?
i dun think i ever mentioned they service all kinds of chillers.
FYI, i tried helping a fellow reefer n asked PC guys 2 service his E***s chiller as there was no back up 4 tis brand. those guys rejected, saying it's problematic as most of its joint leaks easily.

Quote:
hmm... if what you cited is factual, then all chiller brand's chilelrs using same technology and same electrical circuits and compressors etc? can't be what... different make will have different power consumption and all?
i would not say technology, instead i prefer the word "concept".
all chillers r made using almost the same concept.... compressor pump freon thru tubings, tubings run into heat exchanger.. pump supply water into heat changer, freon cool water, fan suck air to cool compressor.....................

Quote:
If like that then if my Eheim pump is rated at 2800l/h and uses a certain amount of power then will all other pumps of different brand that consumes the same power produce the same flowrate as well?
do u know wat's the difference between a resun MD 40 n a Atman 307??
Old 17-07-2004, 02:18 AM   #25
SGRay

The concept for an eheim powerhead and a hailea powerhead is very similar if not identical.... Power consumption very different

I've asked them on before, they said they can provide onsite service for chillers of other brands too... maybe they justfeel that your friend's one too problematic for them to handle... dunno...
Old 18-07-2004, 12:33 AM   #26
devilfire

Quote:
The concept for an eheim powerhead and a hailea powerhead is very similar if not identical.... Power consumption very different

I've asked them on before, they said they can provide onsite service for chillers of other brands too... maybe they justfeel that your friend's one too problematic for them to handle... dunno...
ok, i hav 2 admit i cant go on any further as far as electrical is concerned.

tat reefer whom i tried 2 help is not any 1 whom i know. i juz happened 2 b ard 2 offer help. the PC guys give priority 2 reefers who use PC chillers, other brands i dare 2 say they r quite selective. if u think wat u tot, then i suggest u better make clear wif them if it concern u.