Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 13-09-2005, 11:29 PM   #21
Vfong

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekia
Pour lots of phytoplankton into yr tank
Well that's wat I'm doing already, maybe she eats them faster then the PODS can reproduce themselves, so I cannot see around, maybe must borrow Sherlock Holmes glasses. I also put in a few strain of caulerpa to further stimmulate the growth. Thanks buddy for ur tip. Anyway is there a different between Zoo Plankton / Phyto Plankton ??
Old 14-09-2005, 12:15 AM   #22
KaLiB

There's a difference between zooplankton and phytoplankton.

Correct me if i'm wrong. Phytoplankton in general is algae and zooplankton in general is meat based like shrimp larvaes.

If you want to see pods, you got to find them at night in the dark, so far i have observed them appearing during the hours when the tank is dark(surrounding dark too).
Old 14-09-2005, 09:46 AM   #23
whoami

Sorry what is PODS?
Are they useful, or just food for fish.
Old 14-09-2005, 10:25 AM   #24
tineng

try placing LR in a area of your sump so pods will have a chance to grow without distrubance from the mandrian.....alternatively, allocate an hidden corner in your main tank and place rubbles there....seal off the area with a mesh of egg crates to prevent your other fishes from going in....this will be your in tank refug to let the pods grow without being hunted down.....
Old 14-09-2005, 07:01 PM   #25
KaLiB

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoami
Sorry what is PODS?
Are they useful, or just food for fish.
Pods are useful(except for some species of harmful isopods) in general, helping to consume dead matter or be live food for fishes like mandarin fish.

Pods are a type of microorganism living on LR. Isopods, amphipods and copepods are just general classifications of pods. We just lump them all together and call them pods.

Examples of some pods:
Amphipod:
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/salt_...cs/j20431.jpeg
Isopod:
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/3isopods1-TO.jpg
Copepod:
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...ll/copepod.jpg
Old 15-09-2005, 09:43 AM   #26
cwloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB
Pods are useful(except for some species of harmful isopods) in general, helping to consume dead matter or be live food for fishes like mandarin fish.

Pods are a type of microorganism living on LR. Isopods, amphipods and copepods are just general classifications of pods. We just lump them all together and call them pods.

Examples of some pods:
Amphipod:
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/salt_...cs/j20431.jpeg
Isopod:
http://www.glaucus.org.uk/3isopods1-TO.jpg
Copepod:
http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/...ll/copepod.jpg
ya , put some LR in the sump help. My pod level is so high and it start growing at the area wheere the mandarin can not reach, e.g overflow area ..
Old 04-10-2005, 06:02 PM   #27
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Regarding the detritus that you guys mentioned; so can I said that those skimmate that have the dark 'mud' are actually detritus that it has skimmed off into the collection cup?

So if the current so not strong enough to blow off those detritus from the LR, the skimmate will not have these dark 'mud'? Thanks.
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 06:50 PM   #28
decentkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppies Onli
Regarding the detritus that you guys mentioned; so can I said that those skimmate that have the dark 'mud' are actually detritus that it has skimmed off into the collection cup?

So if the current so not strong enough to blow off those detritus from the LR, the skimmate will not have these dark 'mud'? Thanks.
nope, the dark mud in the collection cup is not detritus...those are dissolved organic compounds in the water which are removed by the skimmer...detritus from the LR can decompose to release these dissolved organic compounds which can be skimmed out
Old 04-10-2005, 09:13 PM   #29
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Thanks. So is it right that the mud is actually the dissolved organic compounds which come from the decomposed detritus? If there is no detritus to decompose, then the skimmate will not be muddy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by decentkid
nope, the dark mud in the collection cup is not detritus...those are dissolved organic compounds in the water which are removed by the skimmer...detritus from the LR can decompose to release these dissolved organic compounds which can be skimmed out
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #30
decentkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppies Onli
Thanks. So is it right that the mud is actually the dissolved organic compounds which come from the decomposed detritus? If there is no detritus to decompose, then the skimmate will not be muddy?
there will still be D.O.C from fish waste and uneaten food