Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Betta Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 18-03-2006, 01:40 AM   #321
estaa

alright ppl. i think this is the high time. i can see the stuffs growing on my fish alrdy, but im not sure if its finrot or fungus. ):
theres slimy shit attached to its tail. whats that?!
im using the external parasite medication now. - and apparently it made the slime on the tail show up. is that good or bad?
WHAT SHALL I DO????!
):
oh. and it stopped eating. GR. )':
Old 18-03-2006, 01:56 AM   #322
zhiz22
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by estaa
alright ppl. i think this is the high time. i can see the stuffs growing on my fish alrdy, but im not sure if its finrot or fungus. ):
theres slimy shit attached to its tail. whats that?!
im using the external parasite medication now. - and apparently it made the slime on the tail show up. is that good or bad?
WHAT SHALL I DO????!
):
oh. and it stopped eating. GR. )':

dun use the anti external parasite.

try methylene blue with salt.
zhiz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006, 05:46 AM   #323
estaa

and how often do i change the water now? still once every 2 days?
Old 18-03-2006, 11:12 AM   #324
superlamon
Endangered Dragon

ya....try to maintain a clean water for the fish....

superlamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2006, 01:43 PM   #325
zhiz22
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
and how often do i change the water now? still once every 2 days?
everyday better
Old 21-03-2006, 01:25 AM   #326
estaa

Thumbs up

HELLO!

hahaha. id love to say a big thankyou to everyone who helped me and my betta!
hes recovered alrdy and very much alive.
thanks for all the guide and everything.
(actually its the first time ive nursed a fish back to health), AND DAMN! im proud of that!
haha. after reading through all those diseases and info, i just realised my previous betta died of dropsy.
DAMN DISGUSTING. yes, the pinecone scales and everything.
yup, and im having a phobia of eating fish skin now. NO KIDDING! after looking at the photos on net, now the image is like lingering at the back of my head again.
and i can visualise it when i close my eyes! MAN, GROSS.
okay. haha.
pretty sad case for my previous betta. my carelessness, his pain.
well, anyway- heres a healthy picture of my FISH! YAY.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Old 21-03-2006, 01:30 AM   #327
zhiz22
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
HELLO!

hahaha. id love to say a big thankyou to everyone who helped me and my betta!
hes recovered alrdy and very much alive.
thanks for all the guide and everything.
(actually its the first time ive nursed a fish back to health), AND DAMN! im proud of that!
haha. after reading through all those diseases and info, i just realised my previous betta died of dropsy.
DAMN DISGUSTING. yes, the pinecone scales and everything.
yup, and im having a phobia of eating fish skin now. NO KIDDING! after looking at the photos on net, now the image is like lingering at the back of my head again.
and i can visualise it when i close my eyes! MAN, GROSS.
okay. haha.
pretty sad case for my previous betta. my carelessness, his pain.
well, anyway- heres a healthy picture of my FISH! YAY.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

congrates

it would be good to share with us what the problem was again and how you overcome it as well just to share.
Old 21-03-2006, 02:15 AM   #328
estaa

yup. okay.
anyway till now im not sure what problem it was but i suspect its slime due to DIRTY WATER.

symptoms:
  • 1. lethargy. hanging on the surface head up tail down/sitting at the bottom of tank and only coming up occassionally for air.
    2. Few days later, slimy stuff will appear on the tips of tail. (looks like its feeding off the tail!)
    3. Tail is closed together.

yea, i used the methods u guys recommended.
Salt, Ketapang and Yellow Powder.
-I first tried with OceanFree external parasite. and it caused the slimy thing to appear. I suppose it suppose to appear. Cos after awhile, this slimy things will break off from the tail (yes, it WILL break off a small bit of the tip of the tail) but it still looks beautiful (:
-Then i changed the medication to Methylene Blue. I think it works the same way. Today is my 2nd day of using it. Just making sure all parasites/bacteria are gotten rid off.

yes. and changing water everyday! (:
anyway, i panicked when my betta wldnt eat but i realised. no worries, they behave in a way like humans. haha, we dont have much appetite when we're sick too! so just leave some food, just a lil bit inside.
and see that the food is still there after awhile, remove it. and try the same thing few hours later!
Oh, its good to spot illness early- cos its easier to recover(in my point of view). yup, it took only like 3/4 days for my fish to recover.

Thats it!
Hope it helps future sick bettas!
Old 07-04-2006, 09:30 PM   #329
imooi2001
Dragon

Default Treatment for Dropsy

excerpts from a thread here to share :

a 4 months old Steel PK which was struck by dropsy (raised scales and all) recently. I changed its water and added epsom salt (1/2 tsp to 4 litres). But the dropsy remained for more than 2 weeks.

Well, knowing that the prognosis for dropsy is bad, I decided to try an experimental treatment using Metronidazole a deworming tablet i bought at a discus forum. What I did was to scrape some Metronidazole into the jar - just sufficient to cover the surface of the water.

Well, I am glad to say that after two doses over a week, the dropsy is gone!

I am not sure if it just coincidental that fish recovered, but I suspect it is the Metro that did the trick (because the dropsy persisted for more than 2 weeks when it had only epsom salt but no Metro).
imooi2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:00 PM   #330
Nicholas Lock

Quote:
Originally Posted by imooi2001
excerpts from a thread here to share :

a 4 months old Steel PK which was struck by dropsy (raised scales and all) recently. I changed its water and added epsom salt (1/2 tsp to 4 litres). But the dropsy remained for more than 2 weeks.

Well, knowing that the prognosis for dropsy is bad, I decided to try an experimental treatment using Metronidazole a deworming tablet i bought at a discus forum. What I did was to scrape some Metronidazole into the jar - just sufficient to cover the surface of the water.

Well, I am glad to say that after two doses over a week, the dropsy is gone!

I am not sure if it just coincidental that fish recovered, but I suspect it is the Metro that did the trick (because the dropsy persisted for more than 2 weeks when it had only epsom salt but no Metro).
Just to add on the link to this posting, for future ref.
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...6&page=1&pp=10