Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 04-03-2011, 12:19 AM   #41
kailee66
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafanatic View Post
Can try nana or java fern. Very hardy even in high pH & hard water. But doesn't mimic the lake

thanks, will try out to see
kailee66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #42
kailee66
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by situs-sk2 View Post
Thanks bro, cycle water about few weeks before adding fishes will be safe, I added the beneficial bacteria to expedite the cycling process. I saw some youtube posting that their tangan tank setup with plants but not sure what plants are that, from my understanding frontosa require high PH and Salt content, what plants can survive under such condition?

Rocks are place inside the tank to create natural habitat enviroment, look soothing when blue light is shining on them, leaving a natural and marine feeling haha

Hi bro, I bought them from Y618, 1 kg/$4. Flat and abit of natural colouring, look nice but rather small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Mania View Post
Bro ps chk for threads on frontosa which will have much of the info you need as a newbie. Also pse understand your pH >7.5 is way below the required pH for frontosas as they need at least 9 to 9,5. Best to get Seachems Tanganyka Buffer to take the guess work out of the equation. Dont forget the use of Epsom salt. Helps with preventing a condition called bloa that affects frontosas. As for food use only sinking type pellets, do not feed feeders or sws. Ghost shrimp, mp, beef, beef heart is ok

These websites may help since you a newbie:

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...ikaBuffer.html

http://www.seachem.com/Products/prod...dLakeSalt.html

http://www.seachem.com/Library/SeaGr...n_Cichlids.pdf

Check out website specific for frontosa such as cyphos for indepth specific info about frontosas

As for plants, most serious front keepers do not use plants as it affects your pH level thus driftwood is avoided. The tannin may leeech and kill your fronts. If you use rocks do not use sharp rocks or coral rocks as frontosas are skittish and tend to dash about,thus hurt themselves or thier eyes. Us ROUND SMOOTH BOULDERS. They can be bought from landscape companies. They are also slightly cheaper than lfs. Check out YouTube for ideas. Good luck bro and welcome!! Check out the AF thread for Frontosa Fans!

thanks for all the good info links bro situs & bettamania.. will read more before considering plants or rocks..at the moment, no decor yet.. just a few pieces of black pebbles..probably adding more to have the base "dark" ..
Old 04-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #43
situs-sk2
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailee66 View Post
thanks for all the good info links bro situs & bettamania.. will read more before considering plants or rocks..at the moment, no decor yet.. just a few pieces of black pebbles..probably adding more to have the base "dark" ..
Dont mentioned bro, I'm also a newbie and just join the community recently. This is a lovely section which you will find many seniors and gurus willingly to share their expertise and experience in handling Tangan community.

It's a good learning and sharing experience, hope to see your setup soon. I also added black pebbles or quartz recently as Bro BM advise, true enough the colour of my mpimbewe colony appeared more contrast and vibrant. Thanks BM for sharing the tips

This is a deadly poison but no worry very soon you will be immune and go deeper. hahaha
situs-sk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:34 AM   #44
kailee66
Arofanatic

sharing my mini fronts setup... all comments are welcome

[YOUTUBE]<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dVZhMIRswu4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YOUTUBE]
Old 05-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #45
situs-sk2
Dragon

Quote:
sharing my mini fronts setup... all comments are welcome

[YOUTUBE]<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dVZhMIRswu4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YOUTUBE]
Your link not working, help to repost ur link

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/embed/dVZhMIRswu4[/YOUTUBE]

Btw, very nice setup for your mini colony...mystery music hehe
Thumbs upz for u
Old 05-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #46
kailee66
Arofanatic

Default my lousy simple mini set up

sorry bros, having problems linking

here's the direct link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVZhMIRswu4
Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #47
kailee66
Arofanatic

[QUOTE=kailee66;8306624]sorry bros, having problems linking

trying again

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #48
situs-sk2
Dragon

Nice bro, I will suggest if you can have an additional daylight (Normal T8) for your setup as well. The blue light seem to be dim, can't justified the natural blue of your beautiful collection.

How if the combination of day and moon light displayed
I actually like to turn on both white and blue combination, the feel will be different and more relax to watch them swimming around, just my personal perference.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:19 AM   #49
kailee66
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by situs-sk2 View Post
Nice bro, I will suggest if you can have an additional daylight (Normal T8) for your setup as well. The blue light seem to be dim, can't justified the natural blue of your beautiful collection.

How if the combination of day and moon light displayed
I actually like to turn on both white and blue combination, the feel will be different and more relax to watch them swimming around, just my personal perference.
hmm.. i was actually thinking to get a white lite too, but decided not to and stick with bluish feel..afraid the whtie may washout the blue colorjust my thoughts
Old 08-03-2011, 02:24 AM   #50
Young Man
Senior Dragon

Quote:
.afraid the whtie may washout the blue colorjust my thoughts
then you will never know the true beauty of your fronts and never get to enjoy it. it's like buying a burundi but shine deep blue light on it and say it's blue..
Young Man is offline   Reply With Quote