Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > AFC Associate Members Forum > Clementi Florist & Aquarium

Old 03-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #41
Aquaponics

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFI View Post
Hi Aquaponics
Ok, I will try my best to answer your questions -

1. Would suggest you to re-paint your yellowish tank

2. Rose Gold to our farm but other farms call them Tong Yan or other names but basically the same fish ie Red x Xback Gold

3. A Rose Gold has Matt gold and thus it's intensity can never be compared to a 24K Gold (a pure Xback). Likewise, a pure xback is most unlikely to achieve the size of a Rose Gold. Thus, each has its own beauty, each to its own.

4. When most people say 'Gold Bar' they are most likely to refer to a Gold based xback, which in our farm case, would be a Pahang Gold or a 24K Gold.

Hope the above clarifies some or if not all of your doubts.

Mrs Goh
Mrs Goh

thanks for yr reply and advice.

btw when Pahang Gold coming in?
Old 03-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #42
DFI
Dragon Fish Industry

Default Maybe Nov or mid Dec?

Hi Aquaponics
Our famed 1555 fries should be ready by November or mid December. Prices cannot be ascertain at this moment but once they are ready for sale, we would announce here.

New xback keepers may want to check out Arofanatics DFI thread " some recommendations for young xbacks".

Thanks for supporting.

Mrs Goh QUOTE=Aquaponics;9168607]Mrs Goh

thanks for yr reply and advice.

btw when Pahang Gold coming in?[/QUOTE]
DFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #43
Plakatboy

Hi,
I'm keen to keep a xb but put off by the gadgets I need to buy (lights, white tank and etc). Personally I also don't like the look of a white tank.

So my question is does WTT simply SHOW the potential of the fish or does it INCREASE the potential of the fish?

I don't mind the fish takes its time to develope 'naturally' as long as the xb turns out fine after 6-7years and not something else.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #44
DFI
Dragon Fish Industry

Default White tanks are to improve or speed up ...

Hi
White tanks are meant to improve and speed up the development of shine and pearlies for younger xbacks. It is certainly not for show ... Xbacks would almost look better in black tanks but for younger xbacks, you would be slowing the speed at which it can develop its shine and pearlies.

But If you seriously do not mind your xback taking the longer but natural process to develop its shine and pearlies, then by all means keep it in a black tank. Before white tanks come into the picture, many people were keeping xbacks in blue or black tanks.

Last point to add, due to better experiences and higher expectations of hobbyists nowadays, if a xback does not show good shine and/or develop pearlies by the time it reaches 12 inches, most people would start to jump into conclusions and label it "RTG" or "High Back" - which is both disappointing and unfair for the breeder. Back in 1995 when we first started, it was certainly acceptable and common to find 12 inch xbacks with lower shine and/or little pearlies but not anymore these days as both white tanks and hobbyists higher expectations have raised the yardstick and judging standards...

Just some of my personal thoughts for sharing. Cheers!

Mrs Goh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plakatboy View Post
Hi,
I'm keen to keep a xb but put off by the gadgets I need to buy (lights, white tank and etc). Personally I also don't like the look of a white tank.

So my question is does WTT simply SHOW the potential of the fish or does it INCREASE the potential of the fish?

I don't mind the fish takes its time to develope 'naturally' as long as the xb turns out fine after 6-7years and not something else.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #45
stevenwong7
Arofanatic

Thank you Mrs Goh & William;

The high expectation of hobbyist nowadays certainly bring about a new change on both fish keeping mentality and the fate of the fishes.

Every fish is unique and grows differently. Hence at times the yardstick does not do justice for the fishes and they got trade or sold away after deem Cannot make it Category...

Thanks for sharing and have a blessed week ahead
stevenwong7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #46
lukeskwr
Dragon

Thanks Mrs Goh for your valuable information. I am also a newbie on Aros. I have kept other types of fishes before but did not get into Aro as they were expensive. With such competitive prices now seems a good time to try my hand on this. frankly i never dreamed i would have 3 Aros in my tank and i am proud of it. i am planning a total of 5 so the two more would be 24k and just maybe 1 24k and 1 red. i am not into wtt but i noted the lighting and feeding regime. i keep my Aros in a 4x2.5x2 blue background sump tank. have to move them to a 3ft FGT for a short period before i move them again into a 422 or 522, depends on the next house purchase. i only have a single FL light set and planning to fix up a 4x T5 tube set. i got to figure the total watts that will be good for tanning though..... once again thanks, learned alot more just reading this thread.
lukeskwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #47
fishncheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeskwr View Post
can u post a pic of ur aro if you dun mind?
bro,
hiaze.....i so embarrassing to show my arowana. Her owner failed to developed her...pls guide me

Old 03-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #48
DFI
Dragon Fish Industry

Default Could it be a diet of mainly prawns?

Hi
Your fish has the shine, pearlies (though not very obvious in these pictures) and good body shape. However, the drop eye may be cured by placing some ping pong balls in the tank, thus encouraging it to look upwards ? And the slight pinkish on the scales could be due to a main diet of market prawns?

Lastly, the water does look a little too cloudy (do check its water parameters). From these pictures, the fish does not look sick but I could be wrong.

Mrs Goh

=fishncheap;9168878]bro,
hiaze.....i so embarrassing to show my arowana. Her owner failed to developed her...pls guide me

[/QUOTE]
Old 03-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #49
Plakatboy

Mrs Goh,

Tks for the advice.

I Am considering between a red or gold for my 5 ft black fgt. personally I rate shape, posture and swimming style over color. Time for color to develope is secondary as long as the black tank does not cause the color to not fully develope over the long run.

After your clarification, I am tempted to try a xb due mainly to the more affordable price. Will keep a lookout for value xb from DFI.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #50
tcto
Arofanatic

Hi Mrs Goh,

Firstly, I appreciate the increased open dialog, your farm has been having with hobbyist more recently.

I've kept a number of arowanas over the years, including some from your farm - ranging from your then earlier crossback only certified pieces to your more exotic BBB 1555 pieces. I've had varying levels of success, and have always been interested in your grading system/s.

If i may ask - how does your farm classify AA from AA+ ? what are the key physical traits you look at - higher shine, more defined pearlies, golden lines on head. And how do you choose them ? I assume you pick and identify from the same batch of Royal Blue as an example and then sort accordingly. Or is based on brooders - you will auto classify AA+ ?

The below piece being a AA+ would mean that it has more potential than AA piece (from a lay hobbyist perspective - would one be able to see the differences easily) ?

Thanks in advance for your advice, and insights to your grading system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFI View Post
Hi
Your fish has the shine, pearlies (though not very obvious in these pictures) and good body shape. However, the drop eye may be cured by placing some ping pong balls in the tank, thus encouraging it to look upwards ? And the slight pinkish on the scales could be due to a main diet of market prawns?

Lastly, the water does look a little too cloudy (do check its water parameters). From these pictures, the fish does not look sick but I could be wrong.

Mrs Goh

=fishncheap;9168878]bro,

[/QUOTE]
tcto is offline   Reply With Quote