Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 09-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
Steven Lee
Dragon

Default what's best?

Hi fellow reefers need to know which is the better skimmer, Red Sea, Octopus, weipro and what else I really don't know. Mines a 322 setup with sump tank. I saw many reefers selling 2nd hand skimmer but don't know the price range what is a good buy and which is a better brand? and which model is most suitable for my setuo. Thanks.
Steven Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:01 AM   #2
KaLiB

Depends on how much you intend to spend on a skimmer, there are some really good ones from Deltec, Beckett but they will burn a big hole in your pocket. These would be better than any of the 3 brands of skimmer you have listed.

I have used all 3 brands before(currently using redsea and reef octopus).
The cheapest(might be expensive depending on the quality of the pump purchased) is Weipro with not too bad performance for the price. I don't remember facing any microbubble issues with this skimmer, the plus side is you get to buy the pump seperately, you can buy something of good quality to drive the skimmer.

Reef Octopus is not too expensive(should be under $200 with pump) and good performance. Only complain is the outlet pipe can get lose overtime and might slip as it is only held by friction. I believe this can be solved by the use of white tape around the inner pipe. The sponge bubble trap is not really effective as it also will slip overtime as it is held by friction, you can cut and add more pieces to overcome this issue.

Redsea skimmer might be a little underpowered for a 3x2x2 with sump, so i would advise considering between Weipro and a Reef Octopus if your only considering these 3 brands.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:49 PM   #3
Creetin

depending on how much livestocks u wan to keep.... generally is better to get good equipment once and for all rather than keep on upgrading as times goes by. u lose more $ this way.

i recommend h&s skimmers.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
Steven Lee
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
Depends on how much you intend to spend on a skimmer, there are some really good ones from Deltec, Beckett but they will burn a big hole in your pocket. These would be better than any of the 3 brands of skimmer you have listed.

I have used all 3 brands before(currently using redsea and reef octopus).
The cheapest(might be expensive depending on the quality of the pump purchased) is Weipro with not too bad performance for the price. I don't remember facing any microbubble issues with this skimmer, the plus side is you get to buy the pump seperately, you can buy something of good quality to drive the skimmer.

Reef Octopus is not too expensive(should be under $200 with pump) and good performance. Only complain is the outlet pipe can get lose overtime and might slip as it is only held by friction. I believe this can be solved by the use of white tape around the inner pipe. The sponge bubble trap is not really effective as it also will slip overtime as it is held by friction, you can cut and add more pieces to overcome this issue.

Redsea skimmer might be a little underpowered for a 3x2x2 with sump, so i would advise considering between Weipro and a Reef Octopus if your only considering these 3 brands.

Thanks again bro for your valuable advise, is there any particular model for the Weipro? At least i know what to look for now.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
KaLiB

For a 3x2x2 with sump, I wouldsuggest either the 2013 or 2014 model. Its ok to be a little overkill. As for the pump, you can don't follow the specs and go for a higher rated pump, Eg. 2000l/hr you can use a 2500l/hr-3000l/hr pump.

For skimmer, don't save on it especially if you don't intend to go for a low bioload. It does help(especially a good one) in improving overall water quality.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
Steven Lee
Dragon

Unhappy

Quote:
For a 3x2x2 with sump, I wouldsuggest either the 2013 or 2014 model. Its ok to be a little overkill. As for the pump, you can don't follow the specs and go for a higher rated pump, Eg. 2000l/hr you can use a 2500l/hr-3000l/hr pump.

For skimmer, don't save on it especially if you don't intend to go for a low bioload. It does help(especially a good one) in improving overall water quality.
But I'm only using a Ehiem 1262 as my return about 3000l/H as you suggested, do I need such a powerful pump for the skimmer? and what flow rate pump should I use for my chiller? Resun CL 650? and I intend to use a UVC as well, haizzz so many pumps in my sump tank and also wave maker a MH light. My OC is going to complian again.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
KaLiB

If you want to save on the pump, you can still follow the recommended pump rating given on the skimmer box but you might not fully utilize the skimmer as it can be run on a more powerful pump.

I'm not really sure about the pump for the Resun chiller, never used one before.

Well, thats marine... burns a hole in your pocket and you can end up spending more time with the tank than your OC. Maybe you can consider not using a UVC first to cut costs as it isn't such a critical piece of equipment IMO.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #8
Creetin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lee View Post
But I'm only using a Ehiem 1262 as my return about 3000l/H as you suggested, do I need such a powerful pump for the skimmer? and what flow rate pump should I use for my chiller? Resun CL 650? and I intend to use a UVC as well, haizzz so many pumps in my sump tank and also wave maker a MH light. My OC is going to complian again.
so wat skimmer u getting? marine equipment advisable to buy a good equip cos u will be spendimg more $ to upgrade later..
Old 12-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #9
Steven Lee
Dragon

Quote:

Bro Kalib,

I saw a Weipro 2013 & 2015 I think I'll go for the 2013 model due to space constrain and also it's real cheap only $25 & $35 bucks respectively and Weipro 6000 pump to go with it I think flow rate is about 2000l/h you think it's ok?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
Steven Lee
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lee View Post
Bro Kalib,

I saw a Weipro 2013 & 2015 I think I'll go for the 2013 model due to space constrain and also it's real cheap only $25 & $35 bucks respectively and Weipro 6000 pump to go with it I think flow rate is about 2000l/h you think it's ok?
the pump cost me $40 bucks all brand new. Thinking of getting it by this weekend please advise