Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 09-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
Mali
Dragon

Default can CRS survived?

i am currently setting up my 2ft tank for CRS. My question is, with a fan i am for now able maintain the water temp to 25 deg and on colder days 24 to 23deg but what worries me is when the ambience temp gets hotter thus increasing the water temp. Are the any bros/sis out there just using fans for their CRS tanks?. will they be ok? Thank you for reading and hope more experience bros/sis could share experience
Mali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
Mali
Dragon

Default is this the correct forum?

am i at the correct forum to post this thread? or should it be at the planted tank section?
Old 12-01-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
locksley

Even if the temp increase, the water in your tank should still be lower than what it would be without the fans. It should be fine, don't worry.

I recently DIYed some fans for my shrimp tank as well. My temp probe now reads 24.7, the lowest ever. Probably due to the weather now.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
PLee

better to maintain at 25deg and not above .
Old 13-01-2007, 11:59 PM   #5
Mali
Dragon

Thank you locksley and PLee. will find out a way to maintain it. hoping to finish up my scape and try out cheaper grade crs first. Good day!
Old 17-01-2007, 01:51 AM   #6
johnny_fantics

My fan very hard to maintain 2ft tank at 25 degree, room temp always auto rise upp and tank temp rise to 32.. Cos not living at higher level HDB??? Last time.

John.
Old 18-01-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
locksley

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_fantics View Post
My fan very hard to maintain 2ft tank at 25 degree, room temp always auto rise upp and tank temp rise to 32.. Cos not living at higher level HDB??? Last time.

John.
The temp of the water in your tank is 32 degrees WITH fans?

First of all, the temperatures reported by all the cheapo temp probes will all be different. I have 2 same probes, they report a difference of 0.5 to 1.0 degrees. So you just agar-agar can liao. Stick with the same probe.

Personally, I'm using 3 * 92mm fans, blowing at an angle of about 45 degrees. Not bad...The lowest I saw the other day was 24 degrees. Right now it's 25.1.

I thought the lower temp would make the colours of my cherries better, but it's still the same. Dull red, plain, whitish.
Old 21-01-2007, 07:12 PM   #8
bluescorpion93

hmm... i'm using a mini fan for my 1 ft cube tank. CRS still alright..
Old 23-01-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
peter2883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mali View Post
i am currently setting up my 2ft tank for CRS. My question is, with a fan i am for now able maintain the water temp to 25 deg and on colder days 24 to 23deg but what worries me is when the ambience temp gets hotter thus increasing the water temp. Are the any bros/sis out there just using fans for their CRS tanks?. will they be ok? Thank you for reading and hope more experience bros/sis could share experience
I thought I would give my experience on this as well...

I keep my tank in my room with the aircon switched on at night only... Temp is around 28-30 degrees in the day & go down to 24-25 in the night...

Yes you can keep crs using fans but when the crs breed expect to have lower mortality as:

1) Pregnant crs are very sensitive to temp... The pregnant crs may drop her eggs if the Temp swing it too great...

2) The shrimplets when born are also very sensitive to Temp swings...

So based on these 02 facts you might have very few crs that actually survive...

Crs do better in cooler constant Temps as they are very sensitive to Temp swings...

I started with a 1.5 foot tank but gave up when I saw the Temp swings & upgraded to a 3 footer... But ended keeping Cherries as I'm now currently out station & will not be able to monitor crs...

Having a bigger tank allows you to maintain the water parameters better... Eg. Better to maintain water Temp, maintain PH, etc...

P.S. I believe it is currently the rainy season now so ambient temp is lower now but this wil change when the weather gets hotter & the disparity of Temp between nigth & day would be greater...
Old 23-01-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
peter2883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mali View Post
I thought I would give my experience on this as well...

I keep my tank in my room with the aircon switched on at night only... Temp is around 28-30 degrees in the day & go down to 24-25 in the night...

Yes you can keep crs using fans but when the crs breed expect to have lower mortality as:

1) Pregnant crs are very sensitive to temp... The pregnant crs may drop her eggs if the Temp swing it too great...

2) The shrimplets when born are also very sensitive to Temp swings...

So based on these 02 facts you might have very few crs that actually survive...

Crs do better in cooler constant Temps as they are very sensitive to Temp swings...

I started with a 1.5 foot tank but gave up when I saw the Temp swings & upgraded to a 3 footer... But ended keeping Cherries as I'm now currently out station & will not be able to monitor crs...

Having a bigger tank allows you to maintain the water parameters better... Eg. Better to maintain water Temp, maintain PH, etc...

P.S. I believe it is currently the rainy season now so ambient temp is lower now but this wil change when the weather gets hotter & the disparity of Temp between night & day would be greater...