Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #1
gryphon
Arofanatic

Default [Gryphon] My shrimp journal

Started my shrimp keeping journey in office with a 20cm cube tank keeping low grade CRS and upgraded to a 1 feet cube within 3 months

Now after my CO's approval , I have just setup a 2 feet tank in the living room.
Equipment are as follows:
- 2 feet x 15" x 15" 8mm tank with cabinet
- Eheim 2026 canister filter
- Hailea 150A chiller
- 2 feet LED light
Soil: Benibachi with fulvic grain
Flora: Driftwoods with mini Christmas moss or US Fissidens, hornworts, Tiger lily and Marsilea Hirsuta in the foreground

Under the Benibachi soil which has fulvic grain and I added BT-9 and ADA bacter ball as well as crushed mineral rock and Boneowild Bebi. [I know I am very Kiasu ]

Cycled my tank for 2 weeks as I am using Benibachi soil with many added bacteria and washed my filter sponge of my office tank in the new tank. Then a week later I did 40% water change and added more BT-9, Microlift Special blend, Mosura Mineral plus and Gravidas.

Added 3 shrimps last Thursday and they are doing well and one moulted last night.

Current parameters:
PH: Between 6.1 to 6.2
GH: 4
Temp: Set at 24 Deg
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #2
gryphon
Arofanatic

Here is the full tank shot

Last edited by gryphon; 10-07-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Wrong photo link
Old 10-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #3
soonhong

Nice bro.. Hope to see more from you..
Old 10-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Curryfishhead

Be careful about the inlet pipe. There is a small gap between the eheim J-pipe and the triangle attachment which you have covered with your sponge. That gap there can suck in your shrimplets or if the adult shrimp is hovering there, their legs may be stuck by the suction (which happens to my shrimps). You can use a sponge to cover up the gap (which is what I did) or cover that portion with some wire mesh (which was recommended by so bros here).

Very very nice setup. Hope that the Marsilea Hirsuta will grow into a carpet. Will love to see how it looks like.

Happy shrimping.
Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
gryphon
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonhong View Post
Nice bro.. Hope to see more from you..
Thanks. Going to transfer Crs from
My office tank and get more from bros in the forums
Old 10-07-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
PierceTan
Dragon

Nice set-up, do update us when you got more shrimps
PierceTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #7
gryphon
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryfishhead View Post
Be careful about the inlet pipe. There is a small gap between the eheim J-pipe and the triangle attachment which you have covered with your sponge. That gap there can suck in your shrimplets or if the adult shrimp is hovering there, their legs may be stuck by the suction (which happens to my shrimps). You can use a sponge to cover up the gap (which is what I did) or cover that portion with some wire mesh (which was recommended by so bros here).

Very very nice setup. Hope that the Marsilea Hirsuta will grow into a carpet. Will love to see how it looks like.

Happy shrimping.
Actually for the inlet I am using e Gush mesh $8 type from GC. I cover the mesh area with sponge. The rubber part of the Gush mesh tube is connected to the J-tube and not covered by the sponge but is tightly attached to the H-tube.

Yes I am hoping the Marsilea Hirsuta will carpet well. Currently dosing small amount of Seachem Excel on alternate day
Old 10-07-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
Curryfishhead

I am having the Marsilea Hirsuta on my tank floor too...growing well but hard to control the growth because of the inconsistent growth pattern. Some are tall, some are short, some comes with 1 leaf per stalk, but some comes with 3-4 leaves per stalk. But cannot trim them because the moment you cut the leaf, the whole stalk will take ages to grow. Thus, I cannot get the right height and it seems to be quite messy...

Nonetheless, wish you luck and if you are able to get the carpet done well, I can learn from you.

Happy shrimping....
Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 PM   #9
wilson6
Arofanatic

nice setup bro.
wilson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:13 PM   #10
tanhann
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
Actually for the inlet I am using e Gush mesh $8 type from GC. I cover the mesh area with sponge. The rubber part of the Gush mesh tube is connected to the J-tube and not covered by the sponge but is tightly attached to the H-tube.

Yes I am hoping the Marsilea Hirsuta will carpet well. Currently dosing small amount of Seachem Excel on alternate day
I thought the mesh holes are small enough that the shrimplets would not be sucked in. Y is there a need to put sponge? If still need sponge, y dun u just stick to ehiem inlet? Sorry for the noob question as I m thinking of getting the gush mesh like urs si that I can save the effort to wash the sponge often.
tanhann is offline   Reply With Quote