Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 15-06-2004, 04:38 PM   #1
puppy_love

Default Chillers

Hi as i'm new to marine...can someone explain chillers to me? I only know that they cool the water...Have been thinking of getting one for my 2 ft tank...
Old 15-06-2004, 06:32 PM   #2
bonjour2

Lightbulb

er , chiller to chill water lah ppl , usually those w reef system will get a chiller to maintain the water temperature at a suitable level , in general ard 27 degrees for the coral needs , since fluatuating temp can stress out the fish and corals easily..( therefore i don recommend any1 to use the ancient method of ice bottle in tank) or also to lower temp of water due to the type of equipment used. ie mh , internal powerheads...etc ..
For most ppl , its due to the heat wave...

Several Options for u for 2 ft

COMPRESSOR TYPE CHILLER (HORSEPOWER 1/10)280 - 300W
1) Resun CL280 ( $330 - $380)
2) Atman CS160 ($350 - $650)
3) Hailea HL160 ( $380 - $450)
4) Daeil DAB-075 ( $880)

THERMOELECTRIC TYPE
1) AquaMedic Mini Cooler ( $570 )
2) Hailea Aquamedic cooler ( $480)
3) Azoo Chiller CH-200 ( Damn cute and small but veri ex $850)
4) Ice Probe Coolworks ( $200 probe + controller $100 ??)

So bro , has the price stunted you enough

Hello all bros out there , if u see this thread , can u tell me if Titanium or Reef Relief or Pacific Coo got hp 1/10 chillers? Wat is their contact no??
Also which one has the smallest sleek design>?Me trying to get one place under my cramp fish stand.

Also , don Arti bombard me if I get anything wrong here. juz point it bros and we learn!
Old 15-06-2004, 06:35 PM   #3
bonjour2

Oh btw wat's yr current tank temp ? If ard 27 - 29 , then juz go get a ac fan if you wan ,,, no realli need for chiller for such temp..Wat other bros think...

Also if any lfs recommend u the thermoelecrtic type , pls consider the ambience temp of yr tank surronding , if it is warm , chances are the chiller will be inefficient since it works on the Peltier Effect from Our great grandfather from France Merci Beaucoup Tout le Monde.
Old 15-06-2004, 07:38 PM   #4
puppy_love

i'm a gurl...
The prices very scary...lol...my tank temp is ard 30-31 degrees...erm...what abt a fan? would it be cheaper? is there much difference between fan and chiller?
Old 15-06-2004, 07:53 PM   #5
vinceyeo

for 1 thing its definitely the noise lvl. i am using a 4in1 ac fan now and its damn noisy. not something you wanna sleep beside at nite. usually i just off it at night and on it again in the morning...

2ndly ofcourse its the temperature you can go down to. for fans most can only bring down abt 2-3 degrees while chillers do not have such problems. tats abt it i suppose

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppy_love
i'm a gurl...
The prices very scary...lol...my tank temp is ard 30-31 degrees...erm...what abt a fan? would it be cheaper? is there much difference between fan and chiller?
Old 15-06-2004, 07:59 PM   #6
bonjour2

Quote:
i'm a gurl...
ee..... care to be friends? how old r u?

Okay jokes aside , aniway I thought only guys like this hobby. Well , if u r budget concious , then go for fan loh . but like wat bro vicent says , the fans can be quite noisy , ( like the high freq tune..eeeeeee) . But if u r not sleeping near it.. who cares?
Old 15-06-2004, 09:21 PM   #7
Jeffrey74

Quote:
Hi as i'm new to marine...can someone explain chillers to me? I only know that they cool the water...Have been thinking of getting one for my 2 ft tank...
Wow Hardly got lady appear in this thread. Pardon me for asking you, will you take this hobby as a long term interest of yours? Will you upgrade your tank to a bigger one in the near future?

1). If you were to give up this hobby 'soon'. Do you think you want to spend money on chiller?

2). If you are serious in this hobby, chances are, you will upgrade your tank very soon. You will have to buy a bigger h/p chiller so you will not have to upgrade your chiller too.

From my encounters from friends who kept 2ft tank intially uses fan only. Not worth buying chiller for a 2ft tank is what they claim.
Old 15-06-2004, 10:22 PM   #8
puppy_love

lol..me barely 17...

I don't think i'll be giving up this hobby...unless i go bankrupt...anyway, i don't mind the noise..so...erm...how many fans do i need? and do i have to switch it on 24 hrs a day...or personal preference?
Old 15-06-2004, 10:47 PM   #9
Ekia

nowadays night time need to switch on lah... when the weather gets cooler.. think u can off it at night.. as long as u can maintain a constant temperature.. night time more cooling mah..
Old 15-06-2004, 10:52 PM   #10
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
lol..me barely 17...

I don't think i'll be giving up this hobby...unless i go bankrupt...anyway, i don't mind the noise..so...erm...how many fans do i need? and do i have to switch it on 24 hrs a day...or personal preference?
Noise is just a small factor, you will face rapid evaporation, sticky floors and rusty window grills/metals.

You will have to keep topping up the water to mantain the correct salinity as only water evaporates and not much the salt. If you do not top up regularly, the salinity will increase as more and more water is being evaporated.

As the water evaporates, tiny salt crystals will also find their way out around the tank. The salty air will oxidise with ferrous compounds to give you rusty metals. If it ends up on the floor, it will be sticky if not cleaned.

However, if you got good air ventilation and like doing housework (cleaning windows, mopping floor) the fan might be just good for you! Using the fan might also improve yr skills as a future housewife .. so start training early
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote