Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 09-11-2005, 05:13 AM   #1
Kenz

Default A Salt Question

Hi all bros n siss,as a try out, i'm already cycling a small n simple setup in my room. Approx tank size 1ft x 1ft x 0.5ft .

One of the first advice i wld need is as follows:

SITUATION
Cycled this setup for the past 2 days since Mon 7th. SG reading now is 1.030. Does this mean that salt content is not enough, or will it take couple of days more of cycling before i can get the correct SG of 1.024 ?

If its not enough, salt used is RedSea, can i top-up using a different brand of salt (eg Coralife)? Will mixing different brands of salt cause any harm when cycling or maintaining a marine/nano tank? because i understand that different brands contains different minerals which might not be helpful to future introduction of LRs/LSs.

Hope bros here can help clear my doubts.Many thx.

PS: After reading the different threads abt Marine setups, i feel that its really difficult to start n to apprehend the Dos n Donts abt these setups. Yet i still feel glad that there are really helpful professionals n bros here that have shown their willingness to advise/explain to newbies like me.
Thx once again.

Cheers!
Old 09-11-2005, 08:00 AM   #2
sherman

Your SG is too high.
Dilute it with Water to get 1.023-1.028

Regards
Old 09-11-2005, 09:02 AM   #3
monsterz1975

Get the level to 1.023 , i mix Aqua-medic salt with coralife salt so far nothing happen.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
Kenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman
Your SG is too high.
Dilute it with Water to get 1.023-1.028

Regards
hi bro, oh i was confused by the hydrometer (floating type) i guess. green portion was above water level. silly. thx anyway bro.
Old 09-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
Kenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
Get the level to 1.023 , i mix Aqua-medic salt with coralife salt so far nothing happen.
ok,thx for the info bro.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:36 PM   #6
Kenz

hi bros, juz bought test kits introduced by PetMart this evening. its an "all in one" kit for testing pH, NHs n NOs. Brand is API. Is this brand reliable/accurate enough for test kits, or brands make no difference?

thx.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:04 AM   #7
veliferium

I wld highly recommend Salifert as its accurate and easy to use but its EX..Since you have alr bought this,just make do wif it lor...Is it test strips or the solution formed ones..
Old 11-11-2005, 01:09 PM   #8
Kenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by veliferium
I wld highly recommend Salifert as its accurate and easy to use but its EX..Since you have alr bought this,just make do wif it lor...Is it test strips or the solution formed ones..
erm..solution form. i havent started to use yet prob this evening. but from the packaging n directions, think there are test tubes n some coloured strips in it too.

thx for yr advice anyway.