Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 09-09-2005, 12:53 AM   #1
colaman

Default help

hi bros.. im new here.. i just bought a tank n thinking of starting on marine.. anyone can teach mi how to setup?? i got marine water circulate in my tank for 3 days alreay.. i dunno wad i should buy.. my tank is only about 2ft.. thinking of starting a small one 1st.. as im a student also.. anyone can offer mi those things i should buy.. im thinking of a simple setup with small fishes.. about 5 will do..
Old 09-09-2005, 02:39 PM   #2
monsterz1975

U got coral sand and live rock?
Old 09-09-2005, 02:43 PM   #3
KaLiB

Welcome to the world of marine fishkeeping, readup deep_end's article first to gain a basic understanding of this hobby and how to setup.

Most importantly, you must get the basic setup and cycling process right. Once these 2 are properly done, you are well on the way to a successful setup.

5 small fishes(that don't grow beyond 3" each) is about as many fishes that i would want to comfortably put into a 2' tank.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:54 PM   #4
colaman

ya.. my setup is done already.. now im looking for coral and fishes.. i dun intend to put in live sand.. i only wan some live rock with coral.. thanks mod..
Old 09-09-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
flame angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by colaman
ya.. my setup is done already.. now im looking for coral and fishes.. i dun intend to put in live sand.. i only wan some live rock with coral.. thanks mod..
I guess u have to wait longer for ur tank to complete cycle, before introducing livestocks since u don't test for ammonia, nitrite & stuff. 1 month will be good enough. U got small tank so it's good to add sand to ur tank , for aesthetic purpose & for BB to live on there.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:32 PM   #6
KaLiB

Quote:
You should not be rushing. This is a very common mistake amongst beginners. Running the tank 3days is insufficient, furthermore, it does not seem that you have done any cycling at all. The tank is not ready for any addition of livestock.

Putting in any fish now will only result in deaths and wasted money. Be patient, do your research, cycle the tank properly and i promise you you won't regret waiting that few extra weeks.

However, you should buy the liverocks(LR) now and add into the tank to kickstart the cycling process. Die-offs from LR is sufficient to produce the ammonia needed to start the cycling process. Going without a sandbed is fine, but there is a risk of the base glass cracking due to the pressure from all the LR.

Do readup the article i pasted to you, its informative and will help you along. If you do your part in doing some research, you will succeed. Plunging into the marine aquarium hobby without any research is a sure way to fail unlike freshwater.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:58 AM   #7
colaman

mod.. really thanks alot for ur advice.. i had learn alot of things from here...
Old 10-09-2005, 01:34 AM   #8
monsterz1975

Good luck bro.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:38 AM   #9
KaLiB

There's a lot more for you to learn, what deep_end has touched on are just the basics. You have to go further and do more research, especially on the fish species your interested in. You'll be surprised how tough it can be to keep certain fish.

The best advise i can give is to do your own research as you go along in this hobby. With adequate knowledge from research done, you can make informed choices and ensure success. Of course, if along the way you encounter any doubts that you can't clear, you can always post here and we'll try to help you.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:53 PM   #10
flame angel

Quote:
mod.. really thanks alot for ur advice.. i had learn alot of things from here...
Hi Colaman,
I’ve seen u posting at bargain forum looking for fish & coral, take it easy bro, u need to read more & gain more knowledge 1st. Impulse purchases would make u lost more livestocks & money only. If u really r looking into corals, I’d suggest u start with mushroom Corallimorph to gain some experience 1st then try other corals later.