Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 16-09-2004, 10:26 AM   #1
Lim_Tok_Kong

Default Disaster ... How To Prevent ?

Hi everyone,

Recently while cycling my tank, I notice some of my landscaping is not right. So I switch off my return pump inorder to adjust some of my LR's position. Within next 2 minutes of so, I came to shock that my sump had OVERFLOWN !!!! The effect of backflowing from main tnk to sump through the piping of return pump really spoilt my days ..... May I know how do you all prevent this from happening ?
Old 16-09-2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Ekia

Add a check valve....
Old 16-09-2004, 06:12 PM   #3
nim75sg

Yup .. add a check valve to your piping.
Old 16-09-2004, 06:48 PM   #4
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

simple .. drill a small hole just under the water line in yr return pipe. This way .. when water is siphon out, the water level will drop and expose the hole then the siphon will break.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2004, 06:56 PM   #5
mr_donitos

agreed with Barra, I did the same thing that's why I could place my return deeper into the tank and blow on my rocks. 8000l/h from my RIO32HF sure can pack a punch so I've split the output to 2 and could still cause sandstorm if placed wrongly. Tested it several times though (the hole I mean) before I became confident that it'll work. But do check if the hole is clogged up regularly
Old 16-09-2004, 09:31 PM   #6
devilfire

the simpliest way had been mentioned..

if u intend 2 add a check valve, make sure u get the correct type. some will reduce ur return flow by a great deal.

alternatively, u can add a normal valve 2 the return line but tis will not work in case of power failure or pump breakdown.

juz 2 share, 4 me, i placed the discharge very near 2 the surface n i had a sump big enough 2 hold the backflow.
Old 16-09-2004, 10:15 PM   #7
Lim_Tok_Kong

Sorry .... whats a check valve ? How does it looks like and where can I get it ?
Old 16-09-2004, 10:15 PM   #8
nim75sg

Simulated a power failure for my tank as part of the pre-routine checks before adding this and that.

Ching Heng ... everything a ok
Old 16-09-2004, 10:19 PM   #9
devilfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lim_Tok_Kong
Sorry .... whats a check valve ? How does it looks like and where can I get it ?
it is oso called a non-return valve. basically the valve oni allow 1 directional flow.

most hardware shop will sell. however, it comes in different sizes.