Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 13-08-2005, 11:52 PM   #1
angmoh

Default Some questions regarding zooplankton

OK i have a few questions here....

Currently i have a 2ft about 7-month year old tank ..

Corals i'm having now is gonipora,mushrooms and buttons.

1) Do i need to feed them on zooplankton ? If needed, what i saw in the market currently have a few types.. one is liquid another is powder form .. which one i should go for ? anything i have to take note before purchasing the zooplankton ? it cost about $20 per bottle...

2) i feed my fish on prawn meat everyday once.. sometimes i squeeze the prawn into almost mashed form.. wondering will this be one of the food source for those corals ? in this case, do i still need zooplankton ?

3) the fries of the cleaner shrimps, is it a source of food for those corals i mentioned above too ?

4) my buttons are not opening for 2 days !! i wondering what happened...
water para: ammonia unknown (no test kits), NO2 <0.1 , NO3 5-10 ppm ... and i found that there's quite a number of "snail like" thingy crawling over the tank.. i suspect is they discard the button shell and come out ?

the snail-like thingy

please advise .. thanks
Old 14-08-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
bonjour2

1) Do i need to feed them on zooplankton ? If needed, what i saw in the market currently have a few types.. one is liquid another is powder form .. which one i should go for ? anything i have to take note before purchasing the zooplankton ? it cost about $20 per bottle...

nOT necessarily to feed on zoo plankton. if u want , can try Kent Marine concentrate Zooplankton

2) i feed my fish on prawn meat everyday once.. sometimes i squeeze the prawn into almost mashed form.. wondering will this be one of the food source for those corals ? in this case, do i still need zooplankton ?

Not necessary to feed yr mushrooms , buttons everyday with meat..they contain zooxanthelle for photosynthesis..as long they feed , anything is food for them..

3) the fries of the cleaner shrimps, is it a source of food for those corals i mentioned above too ?
Too cruel to feed them with fries of shrimps imo , but as mentioned, as long as they feed, anything is their food

4) my buttons are not opening for 2 days !! i wondering what happened...
water para: ammonia unknown (no test kits), NO2 <0.1 , NO3 5-10 ppm ... and i found that there's quite a number of "snail like" thingy crawling over the tank.. i suspect is they discard the button shell and come out ?
tat snail thingy is a nudibranch whose diet is yr buttons , suggest u do a 1 min freshwater dip for yr buttons at least once for the next few days to remove them...
Old 14-08-2005, 11:37 PM   #3
angmoh

>< i just bought 1 bottle of zooplankton .. in powder form ... is that ok ? if overfed with the zooplankton, it will pollute the water right ?
Old 14-08-2005, 11:56 PM   #4
KaLiB

Yup, overfeeding(same goes for any food be it pellets or phytoplankton etc.) would pollute the water.
Old 15-08-2005, 12:12 AM   #5
angmoh

i heard that live plankton wont deteriorate the water quality right ? what is live plankton anyway ... ?
Old 15-08-2005, 12:51 AM   #6
Maculosus

Zooplankton are very tiny animals, no larger than 5 mm, that includes the eggs, young, and even small adult animals (inverts, copepods and isopods etc). And these animals prefer to come out at night to feed on phytoplankton. And corals also feed on the phytoplankton and zooplankton at night. While daytime is for the zooxanthellae algae inside the coral to photosynthesize.

See here for other info: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/sub...printout.shtml

Actually, what u have in the bottle is dead/processed Zooplankton which basically does not have that much nutrients left. It's like dried shrimps/krills that we feed to the fishes. It is the same thing, but already lost most of the good stuff. I'd suggest that you dose DT phytoplankton and ensure there is high intensity light for the corals.
Old 15-08-2005, 01:19 AM   #7
tineng

yeah....go for live zooplaton....i think they sell live one at LFS in pasir ris and also marine life....quite cheap also, a few dollars only....i have been trying out life plaktons this 2 weeks and i do notice substantial different in my Acans and filter feeder like thorny oyster....the acans seems to flesh up even more then before while oyster extend out their mantle even more....but for the other corals like buttons and mushroom.....can't really tell....they always looks the same......

But i did notice my tank glass getting dirty after 4 days of dosing...so have to cut back to alternate days instead of daily dosing....