Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 31-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #1
blackghost
Arofanatic

Default What lights for 2ft tank?

Hi guys.

I'm thinking of creating a 2ft fish and live rocks only tank

can recommend me some lights with reasonable price to get? and how much it would cost? me thinking below 35.. hopefully..

i need to buy a new set. yea. now juz change the bulb. .

thanks in advance
blackghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
KaLiB

Since its only fish and live rocks, you can just opt for fluoroscent bulbs. You can just get 1 white bulb, should be sufficient. However, i would suggest not to use the pink colour bulbs, the lighting effect don't look so good for a marine setup.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
blackghost
Arofanatic

den. if i would like to venture into low maintenance corals?

wat would i have to get?

juz asking =)
Old 01-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #4
KaLiB

In that case, i would suggest either 2x36W PLs or 2x24W T5s.

T5s would be better choice as they produce less heat and are more efficient than PLs. However, from what i know, they do cost a little more than PLs.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #5
blackghost
Arofanatic

wats the prices like?
Old 03-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
KaLiB

I'm not too sure of the rates for PLs, but for 2x24W T5 lightsets, you should be looking at a price of around $100-$130. PLs should be slightly cheaper but are less efficient.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:48 AM   #7
blackghost
Arofanatic

err.. but i saw.. the set.. costing abt 45 dollars only at aquastar yishun. dunno whether we are talking about the same lights..cause the fellow put there T5 2ft 45 dollars

me thinking of T5s, if i do get this light. what kind of corals i can get? maybe you guys can provide me with pictures or point me to the right website

btw

this is the skimmer i saw.. 35 bucks

can use? good?
Old 05-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #8
KaLiB

What you saw could be the normal output T5s, these T5s are far less efficient than the high output T5s. Their probably equivalent to using fluoroscent bulbs, definitely insufficient for corals.

Another possibility is, its a single bulb high output T5 set(which i think unlikely). This alone is also insufficient.

As a general guide, for high output T5s, the ratings are as such:
2ft - 24W
3ft - 39W
4ft - 54W
5ft - 80W

Here's a website to look at, to help you decide on corals:
http://www.liveaquaria.com
It would provide you with the basic information. However, further research into each specie that your interested is recommended as the information give is quite basic.

For a start, you can opt for the easy corals if you light the tank with 2x24W T5s, some possible choices:
- Mushroom corals
- Zooanthoids
- Star polyps
These are generally the hardier and less demanding corals. You should find information on these corals in the liveaquaria website.

The skimmer that you saw should be usable for a start. Later on, an upgrade is advisable if you plan to venture into a full reef tank with more demanding corals. These skimmers in general are less efficient in skimming out the organics.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
blackghost
Arofanatic

may i ask soemthing here? dowan to create so much threads..

err.. wats the min thickness for tanks? mine is 0.5cm. sufficient?
Old 08-06-2007, 11:10 PM   #10
KaLiB

The thickness depends on the dimensions of the tank. What are the dimensions of your 2ft tank?

In general, 6mm(1cm has 10mm, so its 0.6cm) glass should be sufficient if it is 2x1x1 or 2x1.5x1.5. However, if your 2ft tank is 2x2x2, 8mm glass would be needed.