Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 10-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #1
wildaltum
Dragon

Default CrossBreed Goldfish

Hi guys, just to check. Anyone ever tried to crossbreed goldfish...eh...what I mean is like i have one ranchu and one ryukin, so crossbreed them...successful?

I tried last night. Male Ranchu and female Ryukin...few eggs are fertile now. Wonder what the babies will look like. I actually tried it 2 weeks ago...but I mixed one male ryukin in as well. Well..some babies that are about 2 weeks old do not have dorsal fins....hmm...is that how the fish breeders get different types of goldfish
wildaltum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #2
dragonhart
Dragon

all goldfishes are the same species,just different varieties...like humans...all same species though we look different from human fr other countries...all can inter-breed....

yes....but i dun like playing god..

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildaltum View Post
Hi guys, just to check. Anyone ever tried to crossbreed goldfish...eh...what I mean is like i have one ranchu and one ryukin, so crossbreed them...successful?

I tried last night. Male Ranchu and female Ryukin...few eggs are fertile now. Wonder what the babies will look like. I actually tried it 2 weeks ago...but I mixed one male ryukin in as well. Well..some babies that are about 2 weeks old do not have dorsal fins....hmm...is that how the fish breeders get different types of goldfish
dragonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
BlueC
Dragon

Got any pic to share?
Thanks.
BlueC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
wildaltum
Dragon

Thanks dragonhart...I was just wondering whether will we get half numbers of ranchu and half numbers of ryukin...not really mean crossbreed to form a new species...hehehe...sorry if my question is misleading.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
wildaltum
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueC View Post
Got any pic to share?
Thanks.
Eh...sorry...too small to take pictures will do so at a later date...but I see few fries with no dorsal fin...so am wondering is it because they are ranchus...but got a few pieces with deformed dorsal fins..so not really sure because of the mixed sperm from different variety.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
Chinmo
Senior Dragon

even if ranchu x ranchu will also give u dorsal fined fries... unless very very pure ranchu bred.
Chinmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
BlueC
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildaltum View Post
Eh...sorry...too small to take pictures will do so at a later date...but I see few fries with no dorsal fin...so am wondering is it because they are ranchus...but got a few pieces with deformed dorsal fins..so not really sure because of the mixed sperm from different variety.
Hahaha.....
OK.
I wait.
BlueC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #8
Aroboy II
AFC Member

Interesting....let's wait for the "hybrid" specimen.
Aroboy II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
FD3S
Dragon

i think each variant of goldfish have their genes more or less locked into position, that's why ranchuXranchu gives ranchu, with some slight variants, ryukinXryukin gives ryukins, again with some slight varients.

when two different varieties are bred, somehow I think you'll unscramble the genes a little. i guess you'll get a bit less of both varieties and a lot of inbetween and their ancestral forms.

but keep us updated.
FD3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
wildaltum
Dragon

hmm...interesting..interesting....well the eggs will hatch out tmrw because all the fertile eggs are black in colour now...will keep all updated.

I have an earlier batch of babies with mix ryukin and ranchu sperm. So let me see what is the outcome. The babies are definitely growing.