Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 05-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
andy_cy

Question How much anti-chlorine is enough?

Hi folks, I have been wondering how much anti-chlorine solution is enough for treating tap water in singapore.

I am currently using B*X**R anti-chlorine solution with added aloe vera. On the bottle it says 1 teaspoon to 200L of tap water. Seems like a rather strong and potent solution. But I usually overdose slightly just in case. Will it cause any harm to my fishes?

Also, I have recently switched from using A** Stress Coat. Some LFS uncle told me its better to use B*X**R as my tank is a 422 and requires more water per WC.

Can any bros here clarify just how much chlorine/chloramines there are in our tap water here? I'm living in AMK btw.. Really curious, thanks in advance
Old 06-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
ymmij
Senior Dragon

There have been many discussions on this issue.

Basically it should be safe to overdose the anti-chlorine solution, more importantly anti-chloramine solution.

Just follow the dosage requirement stated. I sometimes double dose.
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
matthew
Senior Dragon

i will dose the anti chlorine/chloromaine base on total volume of tank regardless how much % i change.
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
aro-spino
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew View Post
i will dose the anti chlorine/chloromaine base on total volume of tank regardless how much % i change.
I second that.
aro-spino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
PierceTan
Dragon

Not to worry so much about overdosing of anti-chlorine.
You may find your answer to your question on how much chlorine/chloramines in our tap water here http://www.pub.gov.sg/general/waters...Treatment.aspx
PierceTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Sunday
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew View Post
I do that as well. Personally i think that's the safest bet. For Seachem Prime(which i use), i will dose 1 capful each time i do a WC as i have a 4x2x2.
Sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
andy_cy

Default Thanks

Thanks for the response I guess I'll just dose for the total volume of water I have in my tank from now on, even though I perform a 20% WC each time.

I was worried that the chemicals of my anti-chlorine solution would stack up eventually, just like how salt would if you keep replacing the dosage needed for total volume of tank when you're only changing 20% water.

I take it that anti-chlorine being excessive will not harm fishes.. Just that I noticed some slight foaming at the surface of my water... I suppose its the extra anti-chlorine solution I have been adding lately.

As I've never overfed my fishes, I don't think its to do with any excessive protein amounts present in my tank, am I right?

Thanks again for all the response, cheers
Old 06-08-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
matthew
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunday View Post
I do that as well. Personally i think that's the safest bet. For Seachem Prime(which i use), i will dose 1 capful each time i do a WC as i have a 4x2x2.
422 at full tank is ard 400litres plus, 1 capfull of prime only treat 200litres.
Better dose 2 capfull juz in case.
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #9
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

i dun follow the bottle instructions, overdose alot everytime i WC.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
jjfish8811
Arofanatic

Seem many have overdosed the anti-chlorine me too. One other point is if the fishes are either small or expensive then better to overdose.
jjfish8811 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anti chlorine, chloramine, chlorine, tap water