Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 AM   #1
tch225
Arofanatic

Default Salt Level (need help)

Recently one of my friend starting his fish keeping hobby, small size tank less than 2 feet. according to him that the salt level of his new tank decreasing after
few days even though he never change water.

any sifu here can enlighten me regarding my friend problem, as i only keep fresh water fish and don't know how to solve my friend problem.. thanks for the help..
tch225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
A|X
Arofanatic

My Newbie guess is evaporation. Top up would solve the issue.
A|X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
sloke

I do not think salt will evaporate as it will only turn into sodium if am not wrong.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #4
issacyeo
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by A|X View Post
My Newbie guess is evaporation. Top up would solve the issue.
salt doesnt evaporate. if there's massive evaporation, the lower water level would account for a higher salt concentration. topping up of water would just return the salt concentration to the original level.
sorry, i do not have any idea what's the source of ur friend's problem. but the solution would be to do wc.
issacyeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
A|X
Arofanatic

oops...my bad. yah hor, by right evaporation would increase salinity
paiseh paiseh
A|X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
tch225
Arofanatic

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by issacyeo View Post
salt doesnt evaporate. if there's massive evaporation, the lower water level would account for a higher salt concentration. topping up of water would just return the salt concentration to the original level.
sorry, i do not have any idea what's the source of ur friend's problem. but the solution would be to do wc.
So is he were to do wc then that will decrease his tank salt level? but according to him, the salt level drop even though he is not doing anything to his tank course he is currently running in his new tank... is there any reliable way to check for salt level?

thanks all the master for helping out...
Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
xersion
Dragon

nv hear before salt level will go down...
xersion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
FuEl

How is your friend measuring his specific gravity? If he is using those cheap swing arm hydrometers you need to wash them properly & dry them after each use. If not the salt will accumulate on the swing arm & algae will grow on it, causing it to become heavier & show a lower reading.
Old 14-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #9
KaLiB

Is there any form of bubbling or splashing(Eg. outlet of filter splashing water back into the tank, airstone in the tank) in the tank? This can also lead to lower salt levels quite easily in small tanks as it would cause salt crystals to form on the lights or cause salt creep out of the tank.
Old 15-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #10
tch225
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuEl View Post
How is your friend measuring his specific gravity? If he is using those cheap swing arm hydrometers you need to wash them properly & dry them after each use. If not the salt will accumulate on the swing arm & algae will grow on it, causing it to become heavier & show a lower reading.
i think he is using those cheap swing arm type meter. i will ask him to confirm his
meter tomorrow.. thanks..