Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 23-03-2003, 10:50 PM   #1
happybuddha

Default Two problems with my GF

My little Lionhead has ONE scale peeled but still losely attached. There's a red blood spot near the tear. Should I yank the scale off completely?

My little R&W Oranda has a big chunk of its tail bitten off. It's not torn/spilt but a smooth rounded mouthful chunk came off. I thot GF are gentle creatures and don't fight. Should I trim the tail or just leave it alone?
Old 23-03-2003, 10:58 PM   #2
goldfishfever

Default Re: Two problems with my GF

Quote:
Originally posted by happybuddha
My little Lionhead has ONE scale peeled but still losely attached. There's a red blood spot near the tear. Should I yank the scale off completely?

My little R&W Oranda has a big chunk of its tail bitten off. It's not torn/spilt but a smooth rounded mouthful chunk came off. I thot GF are gentle creatures and don't fight. Should I trim the tail or just leave it alone?
Bro Happybuddha, you should remove the loosed scale otherwise the dead scale will rot and lead to infection. New scale will grow over it in no time.

Do you have any other fish beside goldfish in your tank ie. Chinese algae eater etc.
Old 23-03-2003, 11:22 PM   #3
happybuddha

Default Re: Re: Two problems with my GF

Quote:
Originally posted by goldfishfever
Bro Happybuddha, you should remove the loosed scale otherwise the dead scale will rot and lead to infection. New scale will grow over it in no time.

Do you have any other fish beside goldfish in your tank ie. Chinese algae eater etc.
Good point! The red blood spot is probably a sign of infection already. Chum. Will remove the scale right after this. I hope it will be easy. Should I put the lionhead in a hospital tank with salt added?

I only have GF in the tank. Wanted a sucker fish but was advised against it. I'm suspecting it could be the work of my Ryukin. I've seen them sucking on the bubble eyes' erm... bubble eye, many times. I wonder if Ryukins are generally more agreesive...
Old 23-03-2003, 11:26 PM   #4
Xerovix

Default Re: Re: Re: Two problems with my GF

must be the ryukin... one of the most aggressive gf. never mix ryukin with other gf...

you can find this advice in an early thread.

Quote:
Good point! The red blood spot is probably a sign of infection already. Chum. Will remove the scale right after this. I hope it will be easy. Should I put the lionhead in a hospital tank with salt added?

I only have GF in the tank. Wanted a sucker fish but was advised against it. I'm suspecting it could be the work of my Ryukin. I've seen them sucking on the bubble eyes' erm... bubble eye, many times. I wonder if Ryukins are generally more agreesive...
Old 24-03-2003, 01:11 PM   #5
LASERGUY

Default Re: Re: Re: Two problems with my GF

Quote:

Difference in sizes play a part also.....
Better monitor your ryukins closely, it has been reported previously in some other sites that during the feeding frensy, bigger GFs actually accidently sucked out the eyes of those smaller one......
Old 24-03-2003, 02:49 PM   #6
happybuddha

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Two problems with my GF

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerovix
must be the ryukin... one of the most aggressive gf. never mix ryukin with other gf...

you can find this advice in an early thread.
Just in case some newbies mis-understand. Ryukin are still gentle fish. When we say they are aggressive, it's when we compare them to other GF like ranchu or oranda. They are not aggressive like LH or Arowana at all. I like to think they are just bullies to smaller GF.
Old 24-03-2003, 02:52 PM   #7
happybuddha

Default Re: Two problems with my GF

Quote:
Originally posted by LASERGUY
Difference in sizes play a part also.....
Better monitor your ryukins closely, it has been reported previously in some other sites that during the feeding frensy, bigger GFs actually accidently sucked out the eyes of those smaller one......
Ha ha. I guess accident can happen during feeding frenzy.

I actually witness a couple of times my big ryukin delibrately suck on the bubble eyes' eye. Seems to be enjoying it too while the bubble eyes struggles to get out. Fortunately no harm was done.
Old 24-03-2003, 02:58 PM   #8
happybuddha

Quote:
Originally posted by goldfishfever
I have removed the losen scale last nite. I tried to be gentle but the fish struggled and two more scales came off. The infection was already quite bad. I should have removed the losen scale the moment I spotted it in the morning.

I'm sad to say... the Lionhead was floating on the hospital tank this morning and I'm mourning for the lost. I didn't put much salt in the tank. To me, salt and open wound equals pain. So I just raise the water temp and a tiny bit of salt.

She seems to be the one benefiting most from feeding on Hikari Lionhead pellet. The cheeks are noticably bigger although they are only slightly coloured. I was thinking in time the orange colour will develop nicely but now she's gone.

Sigh.

Last edited by happybuddha; 24-03-2003 at 03:17 PM.
Old 24-03-2003, 04:05 PM   #9
Xerovix

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Two problems with my GF

i make it clear again as in previous reply.

ryukin is one of the most aggressive gf.... and it is also one of the most hardy gf around.

Quote:
Just in case some newbies mis-understand. Ryukin are still gentle fish. When we say they are aggressive, it's when we compare them to other GF like ranchu or oranda. They are not aggressive like LH or Arowana at all. I like to think they are just bullies to smaller GF.
Old 24-03-2003, 04:07 PM   #10
Xerovix

harm is already there...

i guess you do not like gf afterall...

Quote:
Ha ha. I guess accident can happen during feeding frenzy.

I actually witness a couple of times my big ryukin delibrately suck on the bubble eyes' eye. Seems to be enjoying it too while the bubble eyes struggles to get out. Fortunately no harm was done.